How do you potty train a stubborn two year old???

She was doing great, and now she won't go for anything...unless you sit her down (and that's only for number 1)...for number 2, she hides under the table or behind the couch. By the time I find her and pull her out, it is too late. My 6 yr. old (girl) tries to help me as well by talking to her and 'teaching' her. any suggestions?

Butterflyfaerie

Asked by Butterflyfaerie at 2:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the battle out of it. She chooses to pee in her pants, that means she has also chosen to clean herself and the floor up. Don't scold or punish or anything. Just "oh, here's a mess to clean up. We'll have to put the toys away until it's all clean. Go get the cleaning rags!" It can be time consuming on your part for a few days. The payoff is nice. A kid that goes in the potty, even if it's out of wanting to avoid cleaning the floor again.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I know you probably don't wanna hear this, (I know I never did), but every kid is different, and in the end, no matter what you do.....they "go" when they are ready, and not before. It's good that your daughter is helping out, and they may help things along, but in the end she's gotta be truly ready or accidents, and hiding will continue. My daughter was 4, but never had an accident since, my son was 4 as well, but by that time, we were really trying to get him trained, since kindergarten was right around the corner, and he does still have accidents, though not often. We plan to introduce training to my youngest, once he turns 2, but if he's not ready, then we'll just have to give him some more time. So, she may just not be truly ready, maybe keep up w/ #1, but try #2 again in a few wks. (Sometimes, giving them a book, or even a handheld video game while on the pot, helps too.) Good luck
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Stop trying and wait until she turns 3. She sounds too young and not ready yet. Don't turn it into a battle.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my 3 year old I am having the same with her..she doesn't like to use the potty and doesn't want to wear big girl underwear. She will occasionally go pee on the potty but that's it. As for number 2 she will tell me after she goes in her pull up and expect to sit on the potty but where she is a mess I wont let her sit on the potty. I have tried to explain to her that she has to tell me before she goes so I can put her on the potty so she can go. My oldest was so easy to potty train..when she was really she was peeing and doing number 2 on the potty day 1. Not to long after that she was not peeing at night and getting up to use the potty at night.
    robsgurl_23

Answer by robsgurl_23 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• if she's hiding then its time to take a break. If you 'forget' about it for a week or so, she might just come up to you and tell you she has to go! Sounds like she's looking for the attention that she gets when she goes in her pants. If you eliminate that and only make a big deal when she DOES use the potty, she might have a change of heart.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing. I kept reminding her, but didnt make a big deal out of it and once the power struggle was gone she started going again. It still isnt perfect, but she really hates getting her big girl underwear dirty and having to take them off.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I hate potty training!!! Just for the record. I wish babies came potty trained. Anyway, I startd my daughter at 18 mths. She did great, then reverted and started going in her playhouse to potty. It drove me crazy. So i took the playhouse down. I noticed her getting really quite and going off to herself. So I grabbed her up and ran her to the potty. She had went a little in her panties, but finished in the potty. I made such a big deal out it. we danced and everything. I started giving her 1 m&m for peeing and 2 m&m's for pooing in the potty. It did the trick! But stick to your guns. Don't stop and wait till she is older. That just lets her think that quitting is the way to go when things get hard. Just keep at it. and ps...don't use pull-ups. She will get the hang of it better in panties. Good luck!
    heather10020709

Answer by heather10020709 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2009