Should I be worried?

This little girl I watch is defiantly not acting like herself. She came over yesterday with a nasty cough and some gunk in her eyes. She was cranky and didn’t want to be put down at all; she didn’t really eat much when she was here.
Today her cough is still nasty, like she’s ready to cough up a lung, her nose is just dripping non-stop and her mom told me that she has eye drops for her eyes. But the mucus is just getting so bad that she cannot drink without taking a break, You can hear it when she breaths! But this little girl’s father told me last week that a guy he went to work with had Swine. My whole family except my 1 year old daughter had the h1n1 shot and we can’t get it for her up here! What do I do?

Bratch1707

Asked by Bratch1707 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• tell her your very worried and feel she needs to be checked
    Anonymous

• does she have a fever? either way you should tell her mother to absolutley take her to the doctor and get her checked. if it's something else your child could still catch it so i would also tell her mother that until she knows what it is you wont be watching her.
    o0laurie.love0o

Answer by o0laurie.love0o at 2:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• tell her thats she needs too watch her kid so u and ur family dnt get sick !! this is very important when ur kid is sick u need to be home with them instead of sending to a sitter !! she needs a doc app
    Anonymous

• Could it be an allergy attack? Is the mucus clear, yellow, or green? If it is clear. that is an allergy. It also explains the gunk in her eyes & the cough. Yellow is an infection. Green is a cold.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I woudl raise hell with that mother! She needs to go to the DR!!!! That swine flu is a killer! (trust me hunny, I work at a funeral home!!!) My doctor told me they dont ALWAYS have a fever, but breathing problems are not cool! Swine flu, or not, she needs to go to the DR!
    Tell that mom asap! ...nice of YOU to care, hopefully her mom will too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Are the eye drops perscription? If she already went to the doc, then don't worry about it. It's probably just a bad cold. It's that time of year. Until the virus becomes a bacterial infections, there's not much that can be done treatment wise. If you are concerned about your duaghter getting sick, let the mom know you'd perfer her find other care until she is better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes I would be very worried! You should tell her mother that she should take her to the doctor. She sounds bad! If it were me I would tell her parents to please get her checked out, it could be serious.
    NeverGiveUp489

Answer by NeverGiveUp489 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Tell her mother that you need a doctor's note that she is not contagious to come back. A group center will do this. You need to protect yourself and your family. I wouldn't even take a guess at what is wrong with this child, it could be many things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• and it could also be a cold. I would just keep offering her fluids and letting her take it easy. Maybe let her take a nice warm steamy bath to clear out her lungs, vapor rub. Personally I usually wont watch kids when they are really sick, because the best place for them to be is at their home with their mommy. She was contagious before she showed her first symptoms, so your family has already been exposed. AS far as "the swine flu is a killer"... so is the regular flu and many other viruses under the right conditions. Unless there ar complications treat her symptoms accordingly. (my whole family has alreay had the swine flu as well as half the people I work with and most of the people I know. if her mom will let you, lett her eat vitamin c chewables like they were candy, and push pedia lite or watered down gatorade... dont worry about food as long as she is getting somethng with carbs and electrolights in it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2009