My daughter's monthly visitor....

My daughter, CL, is 11 yrs. old and recently started her period. I thought it was a bit early because she still seems so young and I hadn't had mine till I was 13.
What is the average age for girls today to start menstruation?...and is it normal that her period isn't consistantly on time? At times it would be early as 2 wks.

Should I be concerned or would the irregularity settle in?
I can't seem to recall my first year of experience and it's been many years since I had my menstruation having had complete hysterectomy due to medical problem.

4tea1

Asked by 4tea1 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started my period in fourth grade and it was quite abnormal for the first 6 or seven months. Once I was a little bit older I started birth control to help them regulate. It is a good idea to start going to the gyno for annual checkups though GL
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 2:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i started at 11 as well so i thin she is normal,mine was crazy too but its been normal forever now
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I started my period at 11...I was on the early side of normal but normal nonetheless. I've also never had a regular period and no doctor has every been concerned about it. It only becomes a real issue later on when you're trying to conceive (but I didn't have an issue there either...about to have number 2 in a few weeks and I'm 27 years old). Some doctors will prescribe a mild birth control pill to regulate it but it really isn't necessary unless it bothers your daughter.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I started when I was 11, and was irregular until I went on the pill at 16, and was irregular when I wasn't on the pill through my 20s. Every woman can be different
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I started mine when I was 12 and it was VERY irregular the first year.
    I'm pretty sure it'll get pretty normal after the first year.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 9:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It's common for periods to be irregular for even up to a couple years after you first get it. I wouldnt be worried about that. And I got my period in 5th grade...so I was also 11.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• all my youngest cousins were between 9 and 11....i was 11.........i was in 7th grade and got it right before a field trip to the beach!!! SUPER EMBARASSING!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yeah, that's normal I started at twelve and was irregular too. A cousin of mine was only nine when her's came. I've read that they can come as early as seven years old, but usually they say anywhere from 9 through 17.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I got mine when I was 11 the day after we watched "the movie" I was also at school in white shorts it was horrible I don't recall having any signs of being ready to start such as cramps but I was a pretty active kid so I probably wasn't paying attention. My daughter turned 11 in december and in january she got her period.My mother in law claims she was 8 years old when she got hers.
    diva_74

Answer by diva_74 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thank you for the replys!
    My mind is now at ease.
    4tea1

Answer by 4tea1 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2009