NEED HELP ASAP

I babysit a 4 year old and a three year old. I have babysat for 12 years... I have never had an issue with the kids I watch But I have watched these two for about two months and all of kids toys are getting torn up. My sons drum set now has a hole punched in it, my other sons geo trax airport only work now and then because of them throwing it off the bunk bed, my sons spy gear had to be thrown away. Today I go in to do dishes, it was only like 10 minutes in the kitchen and they of the wheels torn off of my sons monster trucks.... how do I go about talking to their mom about this?? Without making her mad??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have toys for day care kids. Put your son's toys away.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be best if you disciplined them while they are at your house. put them in time out, monitor them more right now while you are teaching them the rules ofyour house.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i would tell the kids if they break a toy, they will have a time out and have to say sorry, tell the mom you are having and issue with it and try that low key approach at first. if that doesnt work because time out isnt enough of a punishment, put all the nice toys away, in a locked room when those kids are at your house and tell them they have lost the privledge to play with all the toys because they break them, allow them to only play with the older, or already broken ones. if necessary, dont let them play alone ever, when you do the dishes, they have to move their play into that room. if they break toys at your house i would guess that happens at home so their mom should understand.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would have a certain "day care area" in the house - not let them in your son's room. If they are throwing toys off a bunk bed.... ummmm... that is scary. I would lock the bedrooms so the day care kids can't go in there, they could jump off the bunk bed and hurt themselves. A bolt-type lock high on the door would hopefully work. I would have "day care toys" specifically for them, purchase a toy bag from the thrift store and toss it in lysol or bleach for a short time to kill germs. Evidently these kids have no respect.

You can do all this without offending the parent. If the parent asks about the locked room, just tell them that a few toys were tossed from the bunk bed and broken while you were in the (kitchen or restroom - restroom sounds the best) and you were concerned for the children's safety. That should appease the parent.

bryncalyn

Answer by bryncalyn at 3:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Put all of your kids toys up and tell they mother that they need to start having they own toys and if she ask why than you can tell her what has been going on dont let them break your kids stuff
    Rileymother

Answer by Rileymother at 3:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009