Can you get merina birth control when your breastfeeding?

I've heard you can't. i want to get my birth control switched to merina after being on implanon for one year. I am still bfing my 13 month old daughter at least 4 times a day at the most. She will drink about 2 sippy cups of whole milk a day. Should i wean her if i have to so i can get merina. Being on implanon is affecting my weight gain. I have a drs appt nov 12th to be seen for the 1st time since my 5 week post pardum appt. advice?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doc put one in me when I was breastfeeding a much younger baby than you are. You'd have to call your doc to be sure though.

I want to caution you about them though--- please do thorough research. My experience was horrible.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 4:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It should be fine. I was breastfeeding when I got mine in
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I had my put in when my daughter was 3mos and she BF exclusively and still BF at 19mos. So yea you can have it if you BF.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I went on Mirena when my son was 1 year old and still breastfeeding. It didn't seem to affect my milk supply and he weaned at 5.9 years old. It was nice not having a period all those years with Mirena. After I got it removed he weaned soon after. I think Mirena was giving me a lot of headaches all those years so I got it removed a few months before it expired. I feel a little better since I got it out. I was also really moody alot and the Mirena may have been affecting my liver and that can cause the symptoms that I was having.
    Nasheeta

Answer by Nasheeta at 5:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If Implanon is bothering your weight then so will Mirena, its the same hormones in it...both safe while BFing but same hormones. Why not go with Paragard IUD it has no hormones, less side effects and even safer while BFing because NO hormones
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It got the Mirena IUD when my DD was only 7 weeks and was exclusively breastfed. It was noe of the only things that they would give me because they didnt want to mess with my milk supply. The insertion wasnt nearly as painful as I expected BUT...

I got my period 4 days later and my cramps were so intense that they expelled the IUD!!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mirena has less hormones then implanon and that would be the only reason I would think they would not want to give a breastfeeding mother one. I personally cannot do hormones so I chose the Paragard IUD instead. I got it at 3 months PP with absolutely no problems at all.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mirena was TERRIBLE for me. I had VERY bad cramps and had a lot of other bad side effects that I had no clue were related to the mirena. I had stomach cramps, migranes, mood swings and many, many other issues. To the point to where my husband and I were ready to send me to counseling. It was really bad for me, hopefully it will be better for you...
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I liked the Paragard too. I can't do hormones at all. My periods are a lot heavier than they used to be, but totally worth it since I don't want anymore kids. :) But, in answer to your question, my doctor wanted me to get the Mirena when I was breastfeeding, so there should be no reason to wean.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I had Mirena put in 4 years ago and I have not had any side effects. I gained 20 pounds in the first two years but I don't think it was the hormones (though I was blaming them!). I disciplined myself to modify my diet (not go on a "diet") and lost the 20 pounds. My doctor wanted me to wait 6 months after birth to have the Mirena implanted but I can't recall the reason. He knew I was breastfeeding and it was not an issue. At 6 months I was just starting to wean DS from breastfeeding. He was demanding more than I could produce at that age. BTW, my period still has not come back. My doctor said that may occur if I was still breastfeeding when I had it put in. I hope you have the same success I have had, if you decide to go with it.
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 12:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2009