i think my girls have fleas!

my girls r rats and i dont know whats going on with theirs coats. 2 of my girls are fawn dumbo ear rats and when i got them back form my mom they had patches of hair missing and they were scratching like mad. my mom and i havent changed their food or bedding and i have checked them over but i cant find a flea or flea poop on them any wheres. i have giving them dog food thinking it was a vitman problem but they r still scratching. what if anything could i give them otc for fleas? i really dont want to do baths b/c its turning colder and my house is drafty. please dont say take them to the vet i dont have money for a skin analyise for 2 rats with a new baby on the way any suggestions would be helpful.

rainmommy

Asked by rainmommy at 3:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pets

• They may just have dry skin that is itchy. A vet would be able to tell for sure. If you aren't seeing fleas or droppings, it may not be fleas, although we had a cat allergic to flea bites and just a bite or so would cause her to lose fur. If you fur babies are losing patches of fur, it could also be a thyroid problem. or a disease.

Answer by Bmat at 3:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Talk to a pet store. They are usually pretty knowledgeable about pets.
    Anonymous

• Do not give them anything over the counter for fleas with out talking to a vet. As far as I know all the doses are too large and could kill them. They very well could have mites. It will cause sratching and hair loss and you can't see anything. Unfortunatly the only way to help them is to take the to a vet. You might be able to find some info online. Find a site for rat owners and ask questions if you can. It has been many years since I have had rats so I don't remember much about home remedies for them anymore.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• They have mites. That is my guess. My guinea pig had them. The vet can give them some simple treatments and they get better pretty quick.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Call the vet. They can give you something for it. I thought my baby was going to get fleas. My kitten likes to sit on the dresser next to her cage. Well my aunt brought in fleas on her socks and my cats got invested...so I had to make sure the rat didn't. She was only like a month old at the time.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my friend caught scabies from her hamster. Call the vet.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i called the vet but they never called back...mites have crossed my mind but a vet vistit is like 30 per animal pluse meds i hate to see my girls suffer but rite now i cant take them to the vet my van just broke down and i have to walk 30 miles to work...not happy
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009