Are you up for a challenge?

I challenge(double dog dare) anyone who is against legalizing gay marriage to give a valid reason. I am not trying to start anything but really want to know.

Personal beliefs based on ANY religious text are not valid reasons. You have every right to believe and follow what you please but this is not a religious country so our laws should not be based SOLELY on religious beliefs.
I also don't buy the destroying the sanctity of marriage argument, I think the divorce rate and Britney Spears 55hr marriage do more to hurt the institution of marriage than two people of the same sex wanting to have their commitment recognised by the govt.

If you believe it will destroy the fabric of our society please explain how and give any examples you can find. I know it is legal in a handful of countries, like Spain and Canada, and have not seen any evidence it is hurting anything.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 3:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Where does it stop ? Do we allow people to marry animals, have more than 1 spouse, marry family?
    Anonymous

• Ooh
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Marriage is a civil contract that all parties involved must consent to. Animals, children and inanimate objects cannot consent so that argument is moot. I am for legalizing polygamy, incest is nasty but yes if those involved are consenting adults I believe it should be allowed.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Personal beliefs based on ANY religious text are not valid reasons. You have every right to believe and follow what you please but this is not a religious country so our laws should not be based SOLELY on religious beliefs.

Just because the isn't a defined religious nation, most Americans DO believe in God. So, when given the opportunity to vote, they have every right to take their beliefs to the booth with them. Is there any reason in the constitution that states ssm is not acceptable? No. But there is a slippery slope theory that if ssm is legal, eventually churches could be prosecuted for speaking against ssm. Or the other slippery slope idea is to what degree will a teacher deviate from the fundamentals of education and focus on social and sexual aspects of gays relationships? Could this infringe on the seperation of church and state?There are too many unknowns for SOME to feel they can vote for ssm

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Please understand that I believe in ssm, but I discuss this topic with my anti-gay friends quite often.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't vote for SSM because I don't see any need for it or benefit of it, and because the gays want to sue everyone who doesn't approve of them.

Why is it so important to you?
    Anonymous

• See, now grly, I don't agree with that. There are plenty of things that are legal that the church preaches against. I know of churches that preach against women wearing pants. Parishes turn couples away for marriage ceremonies for all kinds of reasons. For not being part of the same denomination, etc. No ones suing for that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I don't approve of smoking either, but the smokers aren't trying to sue anyone for not approving of their habits. I do agree that it is their choice, but would never vote to allow them to force me to pretend to approve because no matter what, I won't.
    Anonymous

• he gays want to sue everyone who doesn't approve of them.

The "Gays" sue because they are not granted the same civil rights as heterosexual couples. Not because someone disapproves of them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Smokers aren't being denied civil rights
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009