What changed your relationship after your wedding day?

We've been living together like a married couple for the past 3 years, will certain things be different after our big wedding day?

And will we still go through a "honeymoon" stage, even though we've been together for a while?

What changed for your relationship after your wedding day, & did you get to enjoy the honeymoon stage?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 3:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• his kids changed everything after our wedding day. ahhh never get involved with a man who has kids. especially if they are as bratty,greedy and ignorant as my step sons are
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• For us the marriage changed both of our lives, but then we hadn't lived together. We've discussed since the difference between living together and being married, and from what we figure, marriage is a vow made in front of God and the community - for better or worse, plenty and want, sickness and health, keep myself only for him, faithful. It is a firm, mature, commitment. I can come home in the evening and feel confident that he'll be there and not moved on to another woman. I can be confident that if I get terribly ill, that he'll stay by me. I know this because he promised it, just as I promised it to him. I don't know how to answer the problem of unfaithfulness or abuse in a marriage. I am thinking maybe the couple didn't know each other well enough or hadn't grown up yet, but not having worn those shoes I won't and can't judge.

Answer by Bmat at 3:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nothing changed really. We just love each other more and we have a boy together. I always believed that why should a marriage license and a ring prove my love for my husband?
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The only change was that my dad had to get it through his head that DH was there to stay. **grin**

Nothing else, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Kids..that was the most radical change to our relationship. We were more in love than ever but we were also more stressed than ever. We constantly had to put our relationship first. I see a lot of women on here say "my kids come before my husband" Your kids will grow up. Your kids, in most cases, will leave home. I have seen many married couples of 20+ yrs divorce just a few years after the youngest leaves home. They let raising the family get in the way of their personal relationship with the one they've vowed to spent their life with. The kids move out and they stare at one another and say "who are you?" growing apart is easy, way too easy. It's hard work to keep your marriage intact while raising a family. I know I'm a little off topic..but I think it all works together.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think the honeymoon phase is just shorter, b/c you're used to seeing each other every day so things don't really seem that different. Plus if you have kids I imagine it's even less. I was 6 months pregnant when DH and I got married, so we had a weekend away, called each other Mr. and Mrs. for a while... that was about it.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 4:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My kids will always come first for me. I love my husband but my kids are my flesh and blood. We have been married 33 years and are enjoying the empty nest. ( actually it is awesome) Our youngest is 29. We love when the kids and grandkids visit or we get to babysit and so glad when they go home too.
    Anonymous

• It made things a bit more strained on one hand--we were stuck with each other.. and on the other it was easier because we were stuck with each other... we have never stopped being honeymooners. After the nirth of our first daughter in our first year of marriage we had our newlywed stage, and during my preg with our second we adjusted to a better functioning partnership.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• the connection for us is deeper...knowing that we're always be here for eachother...no matter what happens. it's just comforting.
    and we've never lost the "new love" giddy feelings! we love to laugh together and be silly. our marriage is everything to us. it takes efffort and work---but hey, I get a life-long companion out of it!
    we'd been together 5 yrs before our wedding, lived together for 2 of those.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We lived together for 3 years before we were married. I don't think I noticed a change or a honeymoon stage. The biggest change for me was changing my name & introducing myself as Mrs. and referring to my "husband" instead of my boyfriend. That stuff was weird. I felt really married after 5 years. And really comfortable being married at 10 years. We've been together a total of 17 years, so I'm slow.
    Mom2LNT

Answer by Mom2LNT at 5:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009