Moms of multiples- How did you know? What made you suspect?

I am 10 weeks into what has been a very difficult pregnancy for me. This is my 3rd pregnancy. I'm thinking I must either be having twins or on track for growing a 13lb baby.

What was the pregnancy experience of having multiples like? When did you suspect more than one? When was it confirmed? Is an OB likely to take me seriously when I tell him I want an ultrasound done early (not routine in this office) just to confirm how many I am carrying?

Thanks!

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 3:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your doc most likely would not do an u/s just because you ask him too. If you are carrying twins then your uterus would be bigger and he would be able to feel that during the vaginal exam and your HCG levels would be high. So after looking at those 2 things, he would most likely order an u/s if needed
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I dont know anything about multiples...But I just wanted to say that subsequent pregnancies are MUCH harder. I thought this pregnancy would be smooth sailing...NOPE! My others were so easy and this one is awful. I've been so sick. Achy...everything else. Also, it's more common to show earlier and faster and to have more BH, cramps, ligament pain, etc. the more kids you have (I NEVER experienced ANY of that before this pregnancy) Totally normal.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I had a friend who was prego with triplets and didn't know until she was 18 weeks..
    Anonymous

• When I was pregnant with my twins, I had the easiest pregnancy ever! I had no idea I was going to have twins in the beginning, well until I went to the doctors at 6 weeks and they told me that my uterus was way to big to be carrying one baby...either that or I was farther along than thought. So they did an ultrasound at 8 weeks and saw there were two babies in there!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I felt the same way with #2, and she is so teeny tiny petite baby! My first was almost 9lbs and it was a breeze!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009