what is this safelink thing anyone know?

okay so my worthless step son who has never had a job is twenty years old and lives off of his girlfriend told his dad that he got a cell phone from safe link. that it was free and he gets 68 free minutes every month for a year. what the hell? why is the government making it so easy for people to just sit on their butts and not try to do anything with themselves?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• and dont get me wrong if it is something you need for emergency or what have you fine but to just give to any bum off the street is just wrong
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well I know that is income based. My grandma has one in case of an emergency because she works night turn and has been in a few car accidents in the middle of the night the past few years. My aunt signed her up for one, and yes she does get a free phone with 68 minutes a month on it. But then there is my neighbor who has one for her 10 year old daughter, just because everyone else in the family has a cell phone.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• 68 free minutes of what?
    Anonymous

• He'll learn someday.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I can't see giving it to just anyone but after DH was laid off last year and our phone got cut off, I was given one so that we would have a phone to get call backs from employers. Sure I could have given a relatives phone number but that just was not reliable. Once we were both working again, I had the minutes stopped and we donated the phone to a local Battered Womens Shelter. They give the phones to women who can't get out of abusive marriages so they will have a way to call for help. It was just a regular Trac phone so we bought 6- 30minute cards at the dollar store to donate with it.

I am with you though about giving them to bums that just want a free cell phone.
    Anonymous

• The Safelink program is a cell phone program sponsored by TracFone which allows low income households to recieve a free cell phone and about 60 monthly minutes of free talk time. It is ONLY available to those who qualify and requires an application. It has been around for about a year now and is sweeping the nation. I don't believe the government handles it but I know it works with Tracfone to ensure that the program is not being abused. I know a few people who actually are using the program and they are quite pleased with it, as they only use the phone for emergencies and to keep in contact with potential employers. Let me know if you have any other questions. I actually did a project on this program for one of my classes not too long ago.
    LiveAndLearn009

Answer by LiveAndLearn009 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009