Can brothers and sisters be close?

I am having a baby girl in March and my son will be three in January. Can brothers and sisters be as close as same sex siblings? I don't have siblings of the opposite sex, so I don't have any experience myself.

tarabartish

Asked by tarabartish at 3:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes. I am just as close, if not closer with my brother than my sister. My sister and brother are very close.. All three of us are very close to each other!
    Anonymous

• In my family I was most close with my oldest sister and my oldest brother. My younger siblings and I never had much of a relationship. My grandkids are 14 months apart (opposite sexed) they are practically joined at the hip. In fact my grandson had surgery 3 weeks ago and while he was at the hospital she was almost inconsolable. I think it is very possible. Just depends on the kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Me and my older brother have always been really close. We are 23 months apart. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Oh, HECK, yes! My dad was closer to his sisters than either of his brothers...the three boys couldn't stand each other.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My brother is 3 years older than me and we have been very close my whole life. He has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. I always looked up to him and really valued his opinion and still do now that we are adults. I have been a tomboy my whole life though.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My brothers and I are very close.
    Anonymous

• My son and daughter is very close. Well we all are a close family. My son and daughter was always close when they were kids, and they are now 23 and 26 and still close.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 4:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My children are 2 years 6 months apart and they are BEST FRIENDS. Sure, they have their moments when they fight but all 2 & 5 year olds are going to do that. But they totally LOVE each other and ever choose to sleep in the same room even though they dont have to
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My mother is closest to 2 of her brothers and not her 2 sisters or oldest brother. She falls in between a sister and brother age wise and they are all about 2 years apart. She is closest to the brother that is 2 years older and the brother 4 years younger and can't stand the sister 2 years younger. My kids are of the opposite sex and they are much closer then I remember being with my sister growing up. I think it has more to do with personality then sex.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My brother is 4 1/2 years younger than me. We never got along when we were younger. We only stopped fighting after I moved out. Now, he'll call me once in a while just to see what I'm up to, comes over & plays Xbox with me. He can't wait to be an uncle now that I'm pregnant with twin boys. I think we are pretty close now, but he is always reminding me of the fights we had when we were younger lol
    Mom2twins2010

Answer by Mom2twins2010 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009