Why do people with twins...

Why do people with twins when talking about once child refer to the other as 'her/his 'twin' why not brother or sister? Aren't they at some point going to get tired of be defined as so-in-so's twin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont know why we do it! I try not to, I actually try to use their names instead because they are constantly reffered to as "the Twins" Using The Twins is something I am bad at, but I dont usually say Adam's twin or Aaron's twin or anything.
    TheDavis7

Answer by TheDavis7 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I don't. I hate that. I hate when someone even says to me "What are the twins doing?" It drives me crazy. My girls are two individual people with two very different personalities. Just because they share a birthday, and look alike, people often think of them as one. It's annoys me.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My mother had three girls...each of us about two years apart. People would ask, when speaking of us, "What are the girls doing?". Same thing? Yeah. People are just used to seeing and being with the babies together. When they are older and have more defined interests, they may say "what is Amy doing?" Instead of "what are the twins doing?".
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 4:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing as Sterling pretty much. Before our daughter came along, it was "the boys" - What are the boys doing? Can you pick up the boys? I am taking the boys to..." Now we say "what are the kids doing" I think it is the same thing.
    Anonymous

• I have identical twin girls, they also have an older sister. So for me referring to their sister is less clear than referring to their twin. However, my twins love being twins, they have that whole twin thing going on, they even call eachother "twin-twin", they are 11 and have no issues with separation or individuality. I suspect you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's not a big issue in life.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP--Um no mountains or mole hills here just a question---touchy much?
    Anonymous

• If I am talking about both my children, I refer to them as "the boys". But if I am talking about one or the other, I use their names.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• What's the difference between referring to them as twins than as sisters, girls, kids? It's still grouping, no matter what the word. What's the big deal?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Seems like you're splitting hairs...
    Anonymous