vets office and kids...

I work at a vet's office and this mother walked in with her 3 year old in bare feet. Now aside from the fact it was rather chilly today I thought that was just totally gross. I mean we clean the floor and pick up the yard but how does she know how good of a job we do? There could have been worm infested poop all over that yard she was running through! I wanted so bad to give her a pamphlet on roundworms(they can go from animals to people) but I of course stayed out of it. Would you ever take you child in to any place especially a vet with out shoes or socks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I worked at a boarding kennel for a while. I got so fed up with people not watching their kids (we had serious anti-microbial chemicals, flea dips, pet waste, all kinds of nasties) that I started posting signs.

"Caution! The humans here are friendly but some of the animals bite!"
    "Do NOT touch bird cages." And we would hang broken things that the parrot had ruined near the sign.
    "We board sick animals in quarantine. Do NOT open this door."
    "We are responsible for the care of your PET. Please watch small children."

You don't have to have a license to have a kid. Unfortunately, some people would have failed the test, like the lady who let her kid walk into the clinic w/o shoes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My grandson does not even own shoes. I have been told to stay out of it. We live in Tucson and he is 14 mo old and walks everwhere. We were just at the zoo.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• um, nope, not once they are walking
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I wonder if your office should post a small note about shoes required. For an infant in arms, it wouldn't be needed, but for anyone with their feet on the floor, for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 4:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son's been wearing shoes all the time out in public (and outside) since he could walk.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'm not a germaphobe so that doesn't bother me. I do keep my kid in shoes in public but how is wearing sandals much better? If she steps in poop, it might get onto her foot. Or if the sandal slips around. As long as she washes her kid. Mine daughter would chew on the handle to shopping carts. I'd try to distract her or put a blanket over it, but she would usually make her way back to it. She's none the worse for ware.
    Anonymous

• yeah but unknown animal feces if far more dangerous than a shopping cart.
    Anonymous

• That is gross! I agree that you should try to get a sign posted saying shoes are required. My daughter was wearing shoes since she was learning to walk. I took them off in the house and she only wore them outside. Anybody can step in glass, bird droppings, old nails, etc and kids are the last ones to actually look where they step before they do. That is disgusting. Did his clothes match? Did he have a clean face? Lets just hope this was a one time thing with extenuating circumstances and it wont happen again.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nope, besides the health issue you bring up there are rocks and glass they could get hurt on.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009