Do you think it's unresonable to ask for and get my first week's schedule?

I was hired three weeks ago for a part-time position. I was hired by the director but I will report to the manager for the job on a day to day basis. She is responsible for scheduling. It's just her and me doing the job I was hired for. It's to help her out so she has time to do her managerial role.When I got the job, I called to ask what my first week schedule would be. She said, "let me think about it". I haven't heard from her and she knows the reason I ask is because I need to supplement my income with per diem work. I know she was busy because she was going on vacation in 2-3 days. This job is my priority but I need at least two weeks to be able to schedule anything per diem. My first day of orientation is November 16. I have an opportunity to schedule per diem 2-3 days a week through November. If I don't take it, I will probably lose it. ?hat would u do?

happi-ladi

Asked by happi-ladi at 4:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would simply state what you have said here....that you NEED to know your work schedule as far as possible in advance, so you can accept other per diem jobs. Since you're only PT, it shouldn't be that hard for her to make up your schedule--if it is she's not a very good "manager!" LOL I would also tell her that because the job is only PT, you NEED to work extra to "make ends meet."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• LoriKeet's right. Just call and tell them what you've written here.

Your schedule is probably NOT at the top of her "to-do" list, so be a squeaky wheel.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009