Is this normal on Craig's List? We're newbies.

So my DH and I have recently sold a couple of dishwashers we had just sitting in our garage on Craig's List. Now we have a refrigerator to sell. With one of the dishwashers and now the ref. we have had an offer from some one that wants our name, address, phone number first off and then will send us a certified cashier's check for the appliance. We take it to bank and once we know it clears they will come and get the appliance. It just seems screwy to us. They don't want any further info about what we're selling. They just are like "Bam I will buy it." DH said from the way they type, they might be foreign (not to sound racist at all!) and the whole thing just seems weird. We ended up selling the DW to some one else but this has been the only offer on the fridge. Any one more familiar than us with Craig's List that can say if this is normal at all? TIA!

Asked by zeppelynn at 4:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Technology

• Not normal..and stay away from anyone like that...a real CL will come to your house (or whereever) offer you 10 under the asking price and pay cash :)

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• CL=CLer

• Those are ALWAYS scams. When you write out your listing, make sure you put CASH ONLY, PICK UP ONLY.

• if they dont even know whats for sale...yeah thats messed up. Thats why i hate craigs list and ebay cuz you never know who is screwing with you and who is serious

Answer by shay1130 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• SCAM!!!!!! DO NOT REPLY TO THEM! I love CraigsList and I'm an avid user. Usually selling things.

Answer by SterlingLegend at 4:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Its a bot. They make up a general email and send it to everyone just to see who will bite. The check will be bad if it comes at all and you have given out vital information to a stranger, not to mention, when you email them back, they will now have your email addy, which they sell to scammers and spammers. You will be hit hard with scam and spam emails.

Piece of advice for what it is worth? And just my opinion. Never give anyone from CL your address. My husband sells a lot of car parts on there, and he always has the buyers meet him some place public.That way he is never giving his home address to a stranger. If they are legit, they will have no problem meeting someplace neutral.

Answer by JEAmom3 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• That's a known scam.

• Thank you ladies so much! That's what I thought!

Answer by zeppelynn at 5:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Cant believe you never heard of this before! They do that crap on ebay too.

• Sounds like a scam.. CL is all about the scams!

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010