Why does my 6 week old think her carseat is the devil?

For the first 5 weeks my little girl did not mind being in the carseat but all of a sudden two days ago she started screaming every time I put her in the car. is this normal?

MrsGraves09

Asked by MrsGraves09 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yea, it is normal, annoying, stressful, etc.
    Babies go through phases with this one. They hate it around 2-4 months, then they are fine. Then they hate it again when they learn to crawl, then they are fine. Then they hate it INTENSELY when they learn to walk, then they are okay. My son was almost 3 and a half when these phases finally stopped!
    It is just one the wonderful parts of being a mother. Invest a lot of car seat toys (they get bored with them fast), and as they get older bring finger foods, books, etc. Also it always helps if you can have someone else come along with you when possible. It is so stressful and I am surprised it hasn't caused an accident for me.... yet : )
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• ugh, my 6 week old has hated her carseat from day 1.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• YES it annoying haha! My son did this forever and he is almost 5 months old and just now starting to settle into a car seat routine and can entertain himself for up to 20 mins...then, he's done!!!
    kht828

Answer by kht828 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• mine always seems to like it. I would rock her in it, so it was soothing. She may have had a growth spurt and not fit the same way. Or maybe there is something in there that's poking her like some crumbs or something. You never know what will irratate kids! :) Mine hated the wing until I took that stupid head piece out (you know, that absolutely usless u-shaped thing). She loved it after that. Try different positions, or adjusting the straps. Or add a few toys to the bar if using at home. In the car the bar goes down, but you could attach toys if you have a handle on the side or tie a string between the two handles and hang toys that way.
    Anonymous

• Soem kids HATE the infant seat but do fine in a convertible, you may want to look into getting a seat that fits newborns well like a Myride 65, Truefit, or Evenflo triumph advance....work great for newborns...
    Some babies hate being restrained BUT make sure the shoulder straps go over her shoulders and then below them to go through the seats and you can no pinch more than a 1/2 inch in the straps...oh and the chest clip is at armpit level. If you added anything to the seat like headrests or strap covers remove them they aren't safe
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my son hates his and he's 10 months, i think its cuz he hates being tied down when he would rather be crawling, exploring. getting into everything
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• all my kids screamed like the were being stabbed when i put them in their car seats...and now the laws have changed in ohio so my six year old is back in a booster. he is not pleased.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• mines the same way
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 8:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh, have you tried putting toys on the handle of the carseat? this does wonder w/ my son :)
    kht828

Answer by kht828 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2009