Is it terrible that I lock my son in his room?

DS is 3 1/2. We put a chain lock on the outside of his door and lock it at night. When he was 16 months he started sleep-walking, and I'm terrified he will sleep-walk outside or hurt himself. This way if he does sleep walk he's in his room, which is completely baby-proof.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• how about a half door instead or maybe a 3/4 door (ya know tall enough that your can see and hear but yet he sees it as an obstacle). You can still reach over it but he cant climb it because it slick & would require alot of work to scale over it...then of course you'd know he is truly awake, because sleep-walkers dont rationally think...right?. Baby gates are great deterrents but flimsy. A baby monitor is a must, of course you probably know that. You can lock the half-door in a less conspicuous way and it wont be misconceived by outsiders.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 5:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• No, it is not terrible if you are doing it to keep him safe at night and are not locking him in there during the day just so you don't have to watch him.
    Anonymous

• I will admit it does sound horrible at first, but you got to do anything you can to keep your son safe. As long as it is the only reason for locking him in their shouldn't be a problem.
    You have to raise your son on what's best for him, not what everyone else thinks.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Be careful who you tell.
    Anonymous

• I agree that, if it is ONLY used at night, and you have a baby moniter to let you know if there is an issue (he gets sick, or hurt, or scared), then it is probably okay. No different than the baby gate I put up in my 2 yr old's room. But, like I said, you really ought to use a moniter, b/c it is neglectful if he needs you and can't come and get you.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 4:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I understand the need to keep him safe, but I question whether locking him in his room is the best way to handle the situation.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 4:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP-

The reason I ask is b/c I baby-sit a little girl, and when her mom saw the lock she kinda raised her eye-brows. I know how it must look to her, but I explained myself. Just wondering what you would think if you saw it.
    Anonymous

• Would a baby gate not work?
    Anonymous

• I think the reason that you just said is fine. But only if you are doing it then. And if you can/could get to him in ANY situation. Also, soon (or already) he should be potty training, what if he has to go potty at night?
    jcp270

Answer by jcp270 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

His room is right across from ours and I'm a very light sleeper. I wake up from the smallest whimper. HE also has night terrors, so I wake up at least once every night to check on him.
    Anonymous