Can your 9 month old eat actual solids (not just baby purees)?

I've been reading the labels on all of the baby snacks that I see in stores. Crackers, cookies, puffs and fruit chunks seem to be recommended for babies "who can sit unsupported and/or crawl". Well my son is 9 1/2 months old and he can sit, crawl, pull himself to standing, and cruise. He has taken up to 4 steps unassisted before falling down (he does this quite frequently). We believe he will start walking soon. Yet I have tried on several occasions to give him teething biscuits, toddler puffs and pieces of fruit (like a slice of apple). Each time he seems interested in it, he grabs it and puts it in his mouth, and then he starts gagging and he ends up throwing up. Am I pushing solids on him too fast? He's a great non-picky eater when it comes to purees, but I feel like right now he should be learning how to eat more solid foods. Any advice? What good practice foods did you give your little one that they wont choke on?

shaynazara

Asked by shaynazara at 5:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow its weird... it's like I wrote this question myself. I tried adding some sweet potato chunks to his sweet pot puree and he gagged on that too, but it might work for you. This may be terrible but once I gave him a mini marshmallow and he made a face but didn't spit it out or gag, he just mushed it around until it dissolved. I haven't done it again though...too much sugar.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My second son wouldn't eat baby food. I tried many kinds over and over. I just figured he wasn't ready to eat food yet. Then we went to visit my mom and she started feeding him table foods and he LOVED it! He was just so happy. You can feed him pretty much anything at nine months as long as it isn't too spicy and is small enough. My son loves avacados, bananas, mashed potatoes, beans. I could go on for a while. I also cut up chicken and other meats into small pieces for him. He eats pretty much whatever I am eating. At nine months he should do fine with cheerios and will love the challenge of picking them up.
    Just give him small pieces of healthy food.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my son gets crackers, he bites them into pieces he can manage and lets them kinda dissolve in his mouth. i my son wont eat the toddler meals that come with chicken bites, but he does good with peas and carrots and mac n cheese deals, he is NOT a fan of meat AT ALL!!! try to give him something he can hold like a saltine cracker and see how he handles that?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Every child is different... Regardless of whether he's cruising or not, he may just not be ready for solids, and there's nothing wrong with that. By all means, try different things on him, but if he doesn't want them, don't force him. When he's ready, he'll do it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• At 9 months my kids didn't want the purees anymore, they wanted what we were eating, and were eating all table foods for solids (still drank at least a quart - 32 oz - of formula a day). They were eating the puffs, cheerios, quick/easy dissolve foods around 6 months.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is almost 10 months (she started walking yesterday! woo hoo!) and we starting her on some self-feeding foods around 7-8 months. We mostly gave her pea sized bits of whole wheat bread. She also like fresh steamed peas, cooked zuccini (but in to small cubes), small bits of cantaloupe, and basically anything that is soft and small. Avocado, banana, etc.

You can also try the mesh bags. Munchkin makes a good one.

Gagging is not good! But a slice of an apple sounds too big and hard. Start smaller and work your way up! Good luck! (you can PM me if you have any more questions)
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• SavvyMomma,

It was a Golden Delicious apple so it wasn't that hard. The piece he bit off was smaller than a pea. He moved it around in his mouth a bit then started gagging when it got toward his throat. He seems to have a pretty small throat.

I do have the mesh bag. I only ever used them with ice for teething but I guess I'll use them for feeding too until he can learn to actually swallow chunky stuff. I had forgotten than I even had them so thanks for the reminder! :)

He loves banana puree so I'll definitely try giving him a piece of banana and see how he does with that. It just seems that no matter how small or how soft it is he refuses to swallow it so it gets caught in his gag reflex and he ends up throwing it up along with the contents of his belly.
    shaynazara

Answer by shaynazara at 10:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i would say try things that melt in his mouth like those gerber graduate puffs they come in many flavors an maybe try fruit that is like already squishy like pears an peachs http://www.gerber.com/Nutrition_Feeding/Crawler.aspx here is a great recommended sight for nutrition for babys who can kinda chew
    Gothchicofdeath

Answer by Gothchicofdeath at 7:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009