Q for moms who breastfed/are breastfeeding...

how long does/did your 2wk old nurse? i think i remember the nurse at the hospital telling me he'll start nursing for an hour on each side, i was on alot of pain med so it's kinda fuzzy.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my son was 2 weeks, he nursed for a half hour each side, and went 2-3 hours between feedings.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My DS nursed anywhere from 15 to 45mins on one side at that age about every two hours. He only ever took one breast at a time.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If i remember right when my daughter was around 2 weeks old she nurses as long as 45 minutes on one side. She is now 13 months old and nurses up to 10 minutes. she also drinks 1-2 sippy cups of whole milk a day and nurse 4-5 times a day.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think DD was about 30 min on each side and 2 or 3 hours between feedings.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter was a quick nurser becuase my let down was VERY fast. She would nurse for about 20-25 minutes on one side (I alternated sides every other feeding)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I nursed my newborns pretty much on demand, but at least every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during (and I would wake them at the beginning) the day and 2-3 hours at night, This is especailly important to wake them as newborns if you had a medicated birth. It takes at least 2 weeks for the drugs to get out of a newborn's system.

Also I suggest nursing one side for as long as they can go (you want to make sure to get the hind milk which is rish in calories etc. as oppose to the foremilk). Then you can switch sides after one side is done. TRy your best to empty one side beofre the other. you may feel lopsided for a bit but they will even out when you switch to the nest breast and after about 3 months (?) I believe that is when your milk supply is established and it will even out even more.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions visit www.lli.org you can talk to someone with experience first hand and its free :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son took about an hour to nurse! When he got frustrated with one side 30-40 min I would switch. I did this every 3-4 hours from the time he started feeding. My dd was much faster! She took 30-40 total to nurse. 20-30 min on the first side. she was all go no wasting time! same 3-4 hours between timing from the time she started feeding
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• For as long as they needed to really. My first nursed for about 30 minutes on one side then I changed his diaper and fed for about 15-20 on the other side and let him sleep. My second was slow nurser and would take up to 1.5 hours on one side sometimes and then another 45 minutes on the other at that age. Feed on demand and until they stop to make sure they get the full amount of hindmilk that they need is the best advice I got. Don't worry about how long they take to nurse or how long in between feedings. make sure they are having 6-8 wet disposable diapers a day and you are good to go.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Two weeks was about when mine attached long term. He came up for air about five weeks later!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My first did about 30 minutes on each side (though she would sometimes like to do longer); my second was like 5, maybe 10 minutes on each side. They can be so different. Just go with it. Whatever baby wants to do at this point!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009