Anybody else have problems with the IUD? (Bleeding, Cramping)

I got an IUD inserted in mid-July. Mid-August I had a two-week on-and-off again period. Well on October 5th, I was bleeding through a super plus tampon in about 10-20 minutes for about 4 hours. The next day it had slowed down, and then I had another heavy episode about 4 days later, this time only lasting for about 3 hours. I haven't really stopped bleeding since Oct. 5th, except for the occasional 5 or 6 hours. I've been having bad cramps as well. They hit me so bad the other night that I felt like I was having a 30-minute contraction dilated at a 5! I can't afford to go to the doctor right now (I have insurance but it sucks), and when I called was pretty much told that this is normal. Anybody else have experiences like this? I've also been told/read that it will eventually go away. I really don't want to have it removed- other hormonal bc methods make me a hormonal mess!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Health

• Yes, I had the IUD for awhile before finally losing my temper with it. I got sick of the cramps and unplanned bleeding. We finally just stuck with the spermicide - No side effects.
    Anonymous

• i was having unexplained pain (they couldn't figure out what it was. One day my SO suggested that maybe it was the IUD that i had for a year. I told the doctors to take it out, even though they were against it and didnt think that was it.

My pain went away by the next day and never returned.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes I had that thing in me for almost 2 yrs..it depends on which one u have..I'm guessing u have the 5 year IUD..u might want to switch to the 10 year IUD...
    mcdthree

Answer by mcdthree at 7:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You bleed less with the 10 year IUD
    mcdthree

Answer by mcdthree at 7:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009