Teething, is it really this bad?

My daughter has been really fussy, has a low grade fever off and on, a runny nose, and lose poop. The doctor says it's just teething and allergies but I have my doubts. My son teeted no less than 2 and up to 4 teeth at a time but never had any of these symptoms. Is Sara really going to be that different from Nathan? I wonder if it could be something other than teething?

JamieJohns

Asked by JamieJohns at 5:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every baby responds differently to teething, some fuss and have all the symptoms you described, and others are barely bothered by it... You just never know. As long as the fever is only low grade, and she's not getting dehydrated from diarrhea or anything, I'd tend to blame it on the teething too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Um.. my son was/is AWFUL.. the most affected I have ever heard of or seen. We knew up to 2 weeks before every tooth popped through, he always refused ANY type of cloth, cold or hot or warm, would NEVER chew on anything... just cry and cry and cry - he has 4 molars to get now....and he's been SO crabby and biting and mean.. wah... it CAN be horrible.. then you hear kids that parents didn't even know their kids teeth popped through..arh
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• it's very possible they could be that different. every child is different.

my son barely had any symptoms. he just drooled A LOT and chewed on everything...he was irritable from time to time...even when he got his top 4 teeth all at once, I really didn't think he was all that bad...not like some stories I've heard!!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• She is going to be different than you son, but teething doesn't cause any fever or anything else.
    Anonymous

• No child is the same even within the same family. Every child handles teething differently and this appears to be the way your daughter is handling it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• anon: it ALWAYS caused a fever for my son and a clear runny nose with red cheeks...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009