why do some people on falcebook have over 1,000 friends? do they really keep in touch with all of those people?

some people that i know have added me as a friend on facebook, but when i try to talk to them or message them, they won't reply back. and i've gotten friend requests from people i don't know well or at all. i check out their pages and sometimes they have hundreds or thousands of friends. why do you want to add me as a friend if you aren't going to talk to me at all? or if you don't know me? just so you can make your friend list longer? i just don't understand it. i'm only friends with people i know and want to keep in touch with.

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 5:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How course they don't keep in touch with them, they don't even know at least half of them! They just think they look cool or something because the have some many friends lol. I'm happy with my 100 that I actually give a damn about! I don't add strangers who send requests, relatives I've never met, or people I don't actually like. They'd just clutter up my homepage wall with crap I don't care about and my actual friends would get lost in it all!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I can only think of two things...on the apps, to play with people they have to you be your friend list and maybe thats why they have all those friends. OR maybe they think they are cool enough to have that many friends lol.
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 5:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• sorry about the misspelling in the title, i didn't notice it till after i posted it , and now i can't change it. lol.
    julianasprotege

Answer by julianasprotege at 5:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'm the same as you OP. I just friend people that I know on there. But I have seen some folks with SO many friends. Probably some do it for the apps. Some of the games and such, the more friends that you have that play that game...the better you can do in some way or form.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 6:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• People add otherwise strangers for games that give you advantages to having more friends playing. you can set up FB to be friended to someone but block all access to anything on your page beside the game(s) you have in common - just like you can set it up so only family sees your pictures but family and friends can see status updates, etc. If they added you just for a game they probably have you in a blocked group.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Sometimes these are business accounts, too. I know a fellow reporter who has a lot of friends on facebook, but she uses the account only to talk about stories she's working on.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I know. I think it is ridiculous. I have deleted people because of this too. I find celebrities do this if it is really them doing it or someone for them.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009