Why is this?

Why is there so much pressure on moms to breast-feed? It is not right for everybody. Why can't formula-feeding moms be respected about their decisions? There is so much nastiness on this subject. I have never bashed moms who breastfeed, yet there is continuous bashing on formula feeding. I breast-fed for 2 weeks and then quit because it was right for me because of the circumstances.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im with you, i BF for a 2 weeks but had to stop because of medical reasons and my son wasnt gaining wait and was already a premie with low blood sugar/ jaundice.

Gave him formula and he gained wieght immediately.

I don't understand why ppl cant respect others decisions
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i agree......i have all respect for breast feeding and formula feeding either way the baby gets fed......it might be healthier to breast feed....but not right for all moms to do ...like me with my 1st my plan was to breast feed but she just wouldnt take to it...i think its dumb people bashing for not breastfeeding....its the moms choice at least the babys getting fed
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 5:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'll tell you the way I see it... Breastfeeding is the absolute best thing that you can feed your baby, period. I think EVERY mom that is able (Only 1% of women DO NOT produce breastmilk) should breastfeed at the very least while they are on maternity leave. Six weeks of breastmilk is better than NO breastmilk. I mean, you are going to make milk anyhow. Get educated, most Dr.'s do not know as much about breastfeeding as they should. I don't bash anyone that formula feeds, I just don't understand why is isn't the last resort for every mom. I would think every mom would want to give their children the BEST possible, and breastmilk is definitely superior to formula. If you can breastfeed because of medical reasons,(A lot of medications ARE compatible with breastfeeding), and then by all means use formula. But, there are millions of women that don't even give breastfeeding a try. To me.. that is just sad.

Anonymous

• I beleive that if God gives you something, you should use it and be grateful. I understand that sometimes a womans body can't produce enough and that's fine, I'm not bashing/judging anyone. Some people are just too quick to judge. I got lucky, my baby will suck on anything, lol! I use supplements too, that way if I need a break and don't have any pumped then someone else can feed him.
    Anonymous

• I choose to formula feed all 3 of mine! because i have issues with my breast i dont let anyone touch them expect me! i went through some shit as a teenager that no one should ever have to go through! i tired to breast feed but could not do it i cryed the whole time! an i have woman bash me all the time for my decision to formula fed
    Anonymous

• AS A BREAST FEEDING MOTHER OF TWO:

OMG! It's a BABY. One way or another it NEEDS to eat. There are thousands upon thousands of Formula fed babies who grow up to be happy, healthy , fully functional adults. YES breast is best. BUT Formula is better than starvation. Formula feeding mother still bond with their children. You can still be skin to skin face to face with a bottle. You still have those same special moments in the middle of the night cuddling and feeding you baby. All of you advocates for breastfeeding forget that though formula may not be metabolically exact to breast-milk they have been making and improving the product for years! babies can thrive either way. Babies are not high end sports cars that will only run on premium. They are babies who need to be fed one way or another.

A am very glad I tried breast feeding though. I was sure I would hate it. I do wish every woman would at least try for sure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• And rkoloms starts if off again. This is exactly what the OP was writing about. Lay off. It's "fine" when the mother is physically unable? what about when she plain old doesn't WANT to? The baby is getting fed, what do you care?

Usually the number quoted for those who don't make enough milk is 2%. When did that number change?

As for medications being compatible with breastfeeding....how can it be "best" if it's tainted with meds that "should be" okay? And why do you guys believe that medical stuff but yet any other time a doctor doesn't know what he's talking about? Oh, and I LOVE the "it's okay to drink and breastfeed as long as you're still okay to drink and drive" crap! You're not supposed to drive even after one drink.

I did what was best for my kids. I formula fed. My reasons and I'll not list them as you'll call me a liar like you so others when they say they have valid reasons.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is the best for a child, as there are natural things (for lack of better words) in breastmilk to help baby grow. Breastmilk is as natural as you can get. However, it isn't the only option out there for feeding baby, and isn't available for everyone. Some mom's don't produce enough milk (like me) and can't breastfeed their child to satisfaction. Other women don't produce breastmilk at all and are forced to bottle feed their child. Some just don't feel it's right for them, and any reason for not breastfeeding is okay. It is the women's right to breastfeed or not and it should be accepted if the women chooses not to. Breastmilk doesn't make the child less suseptable to illness, doesn't make the child smarter, and it isn't a miracle cure for anything. It is naturally healthier only because it is straight from the mother. It is every women's individual right and no women is wrong for choosing not to or to do it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The motive: People are trying to get you to do the best for your baby, and baby's health theoretically trumps everything.

BUT IT'S ALWAYS YOUR DECISION.

Now, as a longtime breastfeeding advocate I can say honestly that I've seen far more nastiness form women trying to defend their decisions -ANY DECISION - than anything else. And that's a shame becaue if you have confidence in what you decided there is NO reason to defend yourself or your decision to ANYONE.

There's only one opinion you EVER need care about, all your life. That of the woman in the mirror. If SHE'S giving you a hard time, then worry. Everybody else? Why care?

As I said, I'm a breastfeeding advocate. But I don't care whether you choose to do it or not. I just care that you have all the right information for making your decision. Otherwise it doesn't affect me and I don't care. And you don't need to care what I think or what anyone else in the world thinks.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009