Kids have H1N1- now what?

Got them meds and Motrin- now what shall I do with them while this lasts?

Jezture

Asked by Jezture at 5:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Same thing you'd do any other time they're sick with anything else: Lysol the house a few times a day & take care of them.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ditto what Laura said. I'm not sure what you're really asking?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mine just laid around in bed and slept and sometimes watched a little t.v. They didn't want to do anything really. We kept the vaporizers going in the bedrooms and pushed Gatorade and water to drink. They really didn't even eat much. Just watch for things like difficulty breathing and stuff though. That's what out doctor told us at least. Otherwise just let it run its course.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mostly for ideas on things to keep them laying down and keep my sanity during it- all three 7, 5, and 2 have it plus husband is SIQ (meaning home sick) until Monday with the flu as well.

Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 6:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Addition: both older kids have ADD/ADHD so getting them to stay still is difficult
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 6:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• TV, computer, toys -- mine loves to build. Even ADD"s get wound down when they are sick (mines been sick since Sunday) read a book, if have some extra energy -- get the work they are missing from school and have them work on it. (kids and dad- LOL)
    The 2 yr old is the hardest but with the older two - chances are they'll be wiped out anyway.
    I'm waiting for my diagnosis -- we've gone from maybe swine flu, to strep, to now maybe its mono.AHHHHHHH
    Anonymous

• Keep plenty of water handy for them...popcicles, too. Let them call the shots for food (my son threw up a little bit one time) Just what you'd do any other time they're sick as someone else mentioned.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Keep them hydrated, let them sleep as much as they want too, eat when they are up to it. Keep them home from school until their fever has been gone for 24 hours after the fever is gone WITHOUT medication. After that, they are no longer contagious. Run a vaporizer to help with the congestion, have movies they can watch, books to read. Elevate head to help with the congestion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son had H1N1 a couple weeks ago. He was not all that sick and the only reason we went to the doctor was his school will not allow any kids back unless they have seen one. They did the test he had it. He had a slight sore thoat, a low grade fever, cough and some congestion. He was in bed one day the other 4 days he was home from school he was up playing and you would never know he was sick. His fever was never over 102 so I didn't give him anything let the fever do its job. It is cold here so we steamed the bathroom and then ran him outside broke up the congestion very quickly. I hate giving meds unless neccessary. He is fine now as are his entire class who all got it. This flu was actually nothing compared to the seasonal flu I had about 10 years ago. Just keep them home and away from other people and make sure to wash your hands if you are going to leave you home.
    Anonymous