how much TV does your preschooler watch?

I use to not have any sort of cable or anything and for awhile we didn't have any, but now we do and have cable as well and I think we watch it WAY too much, so I completely regret getting it, but at the same time it has been a lifesaver at times. I have had some health issues so I have been constantly exhausted and so I have been relying on the TV lately. but now I'm starting to get back to normal, so I'm wondering how much should I limit it? I know its going to be a battle, but how many shows or minutes to you allow?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• for me it depends on the day of the week. if ds has preschool he gets about half an hour to an hour of tv in the morning and then half an hour before bed. If doesn't have preschool that day he gets roughly 2 to 3 hrs in the morning. but he isn't watching it straight for that amount of time mostly just for background noise.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My kids watch about 2 hours a day.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• About 20 minutes a day. In the morning while we are getting ready for our day. We relax with a DVD in a portable DVD player. Nothing harsh. Land Before Time or something simple. We did no television for the first two years.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I let her watch 2 shows in the morning, totaling 1 hour. One show is mostly just on in the background while she plays, but when "Super Why" comes on....she's glued to the set! And I don't complain because I use that time to catch up on some work that requires a good deal of concentration (I work from home).
    She occasionally gets another half hour in the evening, but that's rare.
    Once a week or so,we have movie night.

shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 9:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• ok thanks everyone. I think I'm going to limit it to two shows. There are some days where we aren't home enough to watch something, but I today soe far he's only watched 3 I think and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet actually :) thanks everyone
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Our DD gets to watch Playhouse Disney in the mornings. She also gets to watch cartoons while I make dinner, to keep her busy. Sometimes throughout the day we throw in an extra show if something really needs done and I need her out of the way.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2009