Sleeping issues

My son is 14 months old. He has been sleeping in a crib since around 6 month old. Since he has turned one, he has been not wanting to sleep in his crib. He got sick a few days after his one yr old shots & ran 102 fever for a few days. I kept him in our bed to keep an eye on him. Few weeks later he wouldnt sleep in his crib. I will get him asleep & put him in his crib. He will wake up a few hrs later crying. I have tried the crying it out thing. After few hrs of crying & not stoping, I lose my sanity. I have tried laying him down after feeding him. You name it I have probably done it. He will go to sleep on my bed by himself then I will sneak him into his playyard. But normally he will wake up 2-3 times a night. Once he is asleep back into the playyard he goes. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I want him to not be scared & sleep alone in his crib....

HoneyDew422

Asked by HoneyDew422 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, he needs to fall asleep in his crib. When you let him sleep and then put him there, he wakes up in a different place than where he fell asleep and this can cause lots of anxiety. This is what I did.
    Put him in his crib and turn on only the nightlight. Get a good book and a reading light and camp out in a chair by his crib. After a couple nights he will realize that you aren't going anywhere and will start to fall asleep more easily.
    Once that happens, every 2 nights or so, move the chair closer to the door. Once you get it by the door for a few nights, let him know that you will be in the other room but you will come check on him in a couple minutes. If he cries, let him for 5 minutes and then check on him..soothe him (don't pick up) then leave for 10 minutes and go back in if he's crying and soothe, then leave for 15 minutes. In about a week he will start to realize that even though you aren't in the room.cont
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• cont...you will come if he really needs you. Just be consistant and don't pick him up...this will be much harder on you than on him (even though the crying seems like it's killing him). This is more of a power struggle than a real traumatic experience.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If he's over one, I'd go ahead and try a toddler bed and see what happens.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Jademom is spot on! Follow her advice and you'll be back to normal sleeping arrangements in no time! The same thing happened in my house when one of the twins was that age. I did exactly what Jademom has suggested and it worked! From then on, I would stay in their room for a bit when they were sick instead of bringing them in bed with us.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• He's trying to get you to let him sleep with you. He found comfort in sleeping with you and now sees his bed as a foriegn place to sleep. However, you need to be consistant and stick to your guns. Rocking him to sleep, letting him sleep in his play-yard, or in your bed is only adding to the problem. Try and find what else comforts him and try to apply that to his crib. Whether it be a stuffed animal, a favorite blanket, or even a CD of soft bedtime music. Try and help him rediscover his comfort in his crib and that will help him be more willing to sleep in there. It may also help to lay him in his crib and sit next to his crib and read him a story. Knowing you're there will help him fall asleep more peacefully and most likely let him sleep through the night.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009