Why can't I see it?

My serious BF and I broke things off recently (which he initiated). Since our split, a few of my close family and friends have admitted that they didn't think he was the right guy for me. They thought he was a nice person, but felt like I would be settling if I married him. I really loved him and feel confused by their comments. I'll admit he was not very good at compromising on things that were important to me, but I felt like the love was unusually strong so I would have married him. Why am I struggling to see what they see? I know they want the best for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Sometimes is hard to see how a relationship really is when you are in the middle of it. I would take there opinions with the knowledge that they are only wanting the best for you but realize that it is still all up to you who you 'settle' with.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• that stupid phrase.. love is blind.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• dont worry when i first started dating my now hubby all my cousins thought i was too good for him,why because they are family and noone will ever be good enough,but i tell you what none of them can keep a relationship together or come close to getting married,now they find him so great and say im so lucky,i dont know why because he has been good to me since day one.dont take it so personal and dont bring up the subject so they dont have to comment on it.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think you just need to move on and forget about what they said. It doesn't matter at this point.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Give it some time and then maybe, looking back (when things are clearer), you'll see what they see. And if not, don't worry about it. Your family may just think that you're the best and no one is good enough for you.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It is possible they are just trying to help you through a difficult break up... You know, boosting your self-esteem and whatnot. But its also possible that they just saw something in him that you didn't, its hard to say what without knowing you or him. But I wouldn't take their comments too seriously - if you feel strongly about him and get the chance to be with him again, go for it if you want to. But if you think there might be a grain of truth to what they are saying, keep it in mind if he comes crawling back...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009