Dogs and maybe a hotspot...

Ok I have a 2 and half year old pom and he was groomed two and a half weeks ago, I noticed he has been scratching and biting a certain spot on his booty I called the groomer and she said they did not use anything different on him so I told her what I saw and she said her pom is going through the same thing and said something probably came into bloom, we live in Texasand the weather is hot cold hot cold warm cold yadda yadda, well I can't take hime to the vet till next week funds were a bit tight this week we have all been sick and I was wondering if benadryl might help him. Any other ideas I am very open too just want to help my furry baby. They also have not had a change in their diet since we first brought hime home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pets

• my fur baby (Orla- she's not with me anymore) was a Pom. they are, as a breed HIGHLY sensitive to moisture. if he had even a small patch that was not completely dry, it could cause the irritation to begin a hot spot. Orla was HIGHLY prone to them... yes, you CAN use benadryl, but you should use cortizone on the actual inflamed area. even if he does ingest a small amount of it, it will not hurt him. use OTC cream, or Hartz makes a good spray just for that purpose.
    Benadryl, use 1/4 tsp liquid for up to 10 lbs.
    also, hit it with a blowdryer a few times every day- that really helps. i would try that before going to the vet- it may be seasonal allergies (yes dogs get those too)... orla had issues every fall/spring in particular.

hope he gets to feeling better.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• you rockOMG Thank you so much, I was really worried about him... YOu made me feel so much better I am going to Walgreens right now!!!! Thanks

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• so glad i could help
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009