What age did you talk to your daughter about the Menstrual Cycle?

My daughter just turned 8 - and my husband & I were talking about "when" is the right time. I know girls are getting their periods sooner than when I was young. When did you have your 1st discussion about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i ahvent made it that far yet,but i started when i was 13. i would wait until she was at least 10
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• NOW!! This along with what her body will be going through, sex, etc needs to be an ongoing conversation. Be open and honest, answer all her questions and don't freak out. Seeing girls can get their periods as young as 9, you need to talk to her now. Don't wait. My mom NEVER talked to me about anything having to do with my body, I talked to friends parents and my teachers. NOT talking about these things doesn't keep them from happening.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter is nosy. She has a basic idea that she's going to get her period because she asked about pads and tampons that are in the bathroom. Why lie about it? She's 6 and keeps asking when she's going to need "mommy diapers."
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• LOL mommy diapers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i would start now, my parents didnt talk to me about it and i started at 12 it was a good thing my friend started b4 i did so i knew a bit about it. dont leave her in the dark..dont let her get her info from her friends
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Answered at 10:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 by: Anonymous
    LOL mommy diapers
    ------------------------------------------

Whatever works for her is good by me lol...she thinks she's saving me embarassment...she does silly things like that a lot. Mind you she had no shame in coming down my mom's stairs in front of my stepdad, husband, gramps, and two brothers in my sexy bra lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 5 and knows that when she gets older that she'll bleed...she's seen me change tampons ect....I don't want to just spring it on her right before she starts hers. I want my daughter to know that it's just a normal part of life. As she gets older I'll give her more info.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009