no routine?

my friend has no breastfeeding routine she just waits until baby wakes up crying like last night she let him sleep all threw the night and he only woke up once at 4 and she nursed him but in the day time she nurses him quit a few times my dr told me every 2-3 hours. is her baby getting enough to eaT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably getting plenty!! I never woke my babies, and my 3rd slept 8-10 hours at 3 weeks old!!! She made up for it during the daytime. Many moms nurse on demand.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Most likely he is fine! My DS is 16 and there was NO scheduled feeding when he was a baby, the majority BF or FF were fed on demand and the peidatricians and "experts" of the time (early 1990's) said schedule feeding was selfish on the mothers part!
    Anonymous

• I fed my kids on a flexible schedule around every 3 hours, and then they slept through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months and never woke up to bfeed. They got plenty to eat and were/are fine.

Answer by missanc at 7:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my baby has slept for 4-5 hours at night since he was born and even had a few nights where he slept for over 8 hours...i didn't wake him up and i don't plan on doing it...i did the who "wake the baby up every 2 hours" thing and made myself SO EXHAUSTED i wasn't even able to produce milk or think straight...let the baby sleep, just nurse your baby whenever he/she acts hungry and make sure your baby is having plenty of wet diapers
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 7:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Babies vary-- my son does wake up every few hours to feed during the night, but it's not the heavy duty feeding he does during the day. As long as her baby is gaining weight and growing, there's probably nothing to worry about. There are a lot of "shoulds" when it comes to raising kids so here's another one-- you should do what your instincts, and your baby, tell you to do at this early stage. It'll make things a lot smoother.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• She's FINE as long as she's changing 6-8 dipes daily. There is NO need for a schedule for a breastfded baby. Toss your clocks. You don't need them. Your doc misdirected you a bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• LLL has always recommended watching the baby and not the clock.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• bf dont need a schedule theynurse on demand. not even my ff baby had a schedule. if the cry and are hungry they get food
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• oh yeah her baby is getting plenty, my baby was like that,even in the hospital. they poked my poor babys foot with a needle to try to wake her up,it didnt work.my baby has always slept threw the night too only waking up once. breastfeesding isnt realy a schedule until later on.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yeah, it's better not to think about the clock. My daughters both fed MUCH more frequently than every 2-3 hours during the day, both did longer stretches at night from the start. I think when they're itty bitty like still in the hospital they say you can wake them to feed for the first few days; after that, let them sleep at night unless it has been over 6-8 hours... But be prepared for it to be more often than 3 hours... my daughters never got to 3 hours between feedings until they were well into solid foods, maybe even past their first birthdays!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009