Swine FLU Vaccine

Ok. I have not browsed ALL the questions here so don't shoot me down if someone has asked this already, but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this vaccine? I was offered it and declined becasue I have a slight cold right now and wanted to research it further. I have heard people say don't get it, it has mercury and has been mass produced and others saying that it would be stupid not to. Just want thoughts and opinions or good websites to read more about it...thats all...thanks in advance!

tinalloyd

Asked by tinalloyd at 7:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm pregnant and not getting it. :) In the package insert, it states that it wasn't tested on pregnant women and they have no idea what the possible fetal dangers could be. Plus, it's never been tested for it's ability to cause cancer.
    Look at this too:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/11/03/What-We-Have-Learned-About-the-Great-Swine-Flu-Pandemic.aspx
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Keep yourself healthy by taking 2000IUs of Vit D daily, avoid sugar as it depresses the immune system, Vit C...
    Here's a website that says how to naturally prevent the flu :)
    http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/20151/7-natural-ways-to-avoid-the-flu/
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The vaccine is produced in the same way that the regular flu vaccine was produced. You'll need to make your own assessment and weigh the benefits vs. the risks.

Benefits: Your body will be exposed to either a dead or a fragmented live virus and you will give your body a chance to build up antibodies that you will be able to pass onto your child. It may also be life-saving-- preventing you from getting this flu, which is more lethal to pregnant women than any other group.

Detriments: It is made utilizing a chicken egg, and does have preservatives in it, including a mercury based product. The mercury level is very low, and has been proven over and over to have no detrimental effects. However, mercury can build up in the human body.

I have an 8 week old son, and I chose to get the vaccine because of my son. If there is anything I can do to prevent him from getting sick, then I will do it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The best place to learn about the vaccine, it's package insert: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm182404.pdf

I'm 19 weeks pregnant, wouldn't get it for myself based on this (Ref- Page 10): 

"8.1. Pregnancy
    Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine or Fluzone vaccine. It is also not known whether these vaccines can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed."

There are too many reasons to list why I wouldn't allow my children to have this vaccine.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Everyone has a medical horror story for every treatment. A pregnant family friend became seriously ill within hours of getting the H1N1 injection and was rushed to the hospital. So far we think the baby will be fine. She's only half way through.

Not a big fan of being the guinea pig. Plus, this vaccine isn't proven to work. The mercury based preservative called thimerosal is banned in all other developed nations.

The PPs brought up some very good points. Mercola has good info.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mercury can be dangerous at one parts per billion. That's like a grain of sand in a swimming pool.
    And she can't get the mist, it's a live virus and they say for pregnant women NOT to get that because of the risk of actually catching h1n1 from it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I got it for a few reasons. I was on the fence for a long time, but it made sense for me to get it for various reasons. As far as the actual vaccine, it is produced EXACTLY like the seasonal flu vaccine, which has been safe in the past. The preservative thimerisol, which contains mercury and is controversial due to autism, only accounts for less than the amount of mercury found in one can of tuna. Getting the flu would be way more dangerous because of high fevers, pneumonia, etc., and because of personal situations, im at a bit of a risk of getting the flu.

Definitely feel good about getting the vaccine.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 8:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well, mercury for me isn't just controversial because of Autism. It's the 2nd most toxic substance known to man.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Fine, but my point was the amount found in the vaccine is less than a can of tuna.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 9:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP, if you want, go to the CDC web site or the FDA. You will get alot of people pushing there own agendas on here. Is the shot "safe", I don't know. Will it be protective, again I don't know. It is made just like the seasonal flu vaccine so it should be safe even for pregnant women just as long as you get the shot and not the mist. Some people have this flu and it does nothing but put them down for a few days to a week while other healthy people are in the hospital on vents. I would just say for you to make up your own mind and research this and do what is best for you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009