slip covers for couches..are they a good investment?

we have a decent couch and love seat but the colors and patterns are that of an old person...we think it would be cheaper to get slip covers ...and if you use them is there a brand or type that work better than others?

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• IMO I don't like them... They move too much, I use good cotton sheets on ours and just take them off when company comes over. With 3 kids and 3 dogs I have to have them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We got one from WalMart. Our couch was the first piece of furniture we bought and it's fairly decent. Not top of the line or anything, but we like it and wanted to protect it a little. Now the cover has been off for months lol. But, yeah, I think they're a decent investment, though I wouldn't pay out the butt for one.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• we had a really good set from walmart...it cost about $80 for a couch & recliner. we bought our couch from goodwill for $15 and it desperately needed a slip cover so it was worth it. but as soon as we could afford it we got a real couch cause slip covers never stay in place...they are a pain! but it beats buying a brand new set of furniture.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I use them all the time to protect my sofa, and know that it does help especially with kids. However, it is true they do have a hard time staying in place.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If you do get a slipcover, the type with multiple pieces (one to go over bottom cushions, one to go over the body of the couch) are less of a nuisance than the one-piece ones. Also, the ones made of stretchy fabric will shift a bit less than the ones made of non-stretch fabric.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have a good one, but it's on a sofa that we don't use much. If we used this sofa often I'd get it recovered. Slip cover do just that.... slip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have always wanted to invest in sofa covers, but even at Walmart they are close to $50 a pop. Way too expensive for my blood. I just find really cheap used sofas (my last one cost me $25). It's cheaper than a cover.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009