dont know what to do with him.

my two yr old.. is potty trained.. or at least he was .. he will go pee in the potty but not poop.. for the last month or so, he has began to go in his pants nad then comes nad tells us right after it happens.. and i've tried encouragement about when he does go. i started taking things from his room that he loves everytime he does. i dont really know what else to do. he understands that he has to go potty in his potty but he doesnt. any ideas moms/

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• kids regress and show that they may not be completely ready to be FULLY potty trained.

Use positive reinforcement for when he uses it.

i know my pediatrician says that it isnt uncommon for boys not to be completely trained untill 3 yrs old.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• well he'll be 3 htis month and he was doing soo good.. just all of the sudden he wants us to clean his mess and when i tell him its nasty and yucky he chuckles and says yeah i know mommy..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I was going to suggest positive reinforcement as well tntmom1027. My SIL put a jar of m&m's on a shelf above the potty so that my nephew could clearly see them. Every time he used the potty, she would give him an m&m.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• How horrible! Punishing a child never teaches good behavior. Taking away things he loves. I hope you haven't broken his heart so many times that you have ruined his relationship with you forever.

Obviously he is too young to know before he goes. It's common for boys not to know until they are 3-4. Some 5-6 year olds have problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• wow, so your telling me i'm horrible for taking his things away? you know what i've tried positive reinforcement, and it hasnt helped he was completly potty trained lately he hasnt wanted to go to the potty and wants me or dad to clean it up..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You are NOT horrible!! You are trying everything you can I'm sure. Don't worry about what one, rude person thinks! I laughed when I read that she wrote
    " I hope you haven't broken his heart so many times that you have ruined his relationship with you forever"
    PUH-LEASE lady.
    Anyway, the M & M thing metioned really does work! I've read about it before I ever even had my son. My sister was potty training her daughter and was running out of ideas...I told her about the M & M's and it worked!!! Good luck, potty training is stressful, so don't let other people let you down.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 8:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Trust me you are not horrible for taking his things away! Children need a form of discipline for bad behavior. Apparently gailll believes that everyone here is a horrible parent because either we discipline our children or Formula Feed or Pierce their ears or give them cows milk or anything else she chooses not to believe in. Not everyone can be perfect like Gailll. With my son I'd make him sit on the potty for 5 minutes after he'd mess his pants. I hope you find what works for you. You can't raise children "by the book" and no one child is the same. You just have to find what works for you and good luck
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 8:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i guess i'm horrible because i formula fed my child. lol.. and gave him cow milk! lmao! its just funny to me that certain people can't see both sides of the problem. i'm trying to step into my childs shoes so i can figure out what he needs in order to go to the potty and since he's not getting it i'm starting to take things away.. and he was in his room for two min and he was screaming i want my tv mommy!! please mommy!! but i dont know i just need some ideas and the m&m trick might work.. i'll give it a try thanks for the moms that helped!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well what worked for my SS at 31/2 was a reward chart. i found some that were bookmark size and everytime he pooped in the potty he got a sticker. once he filled the chart (which you can do once or once a week) he got a prize. which ended up being a cute lil toy car at a psrty store for less than a dollar lol, but it was cool for him, and i feel better not using candy, but do what works! lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I've never come out and said this, but I will say it now. Kids can use the potty. It isn't that hard. I don't get why we are so quick to say "oh, he's not ready!" The same moms have their babies crying themselves to sleep and snatching away pacis will let them knowingly crap in their own pants. No!

I never punish for potty training. It is a learning proces, just like learning to use a cup. There WILL be accidents. I don't scold for those, either. However, I do reinforce responsibility. If you know how to use the potty, and choose not to, you are responsible for helping clean up the mess you made. Especially since he's been using the potty, you know he can do it just fine. And he's telling you he knows it's yucky and laughing about it! No! He's unaffected if you clean it up, he gets to just keep playing. When he has to help, it puts the responsibility to go to the potty back on him.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009