does your husband even attempt?

when things break around the home does your husband jump on to trying to fix them? my father was an amazing man.whenever something broke or went out of whack he fixed it right then and there.same with a clog or ya know anything. my husband does not. our kitchen AND bathrrom sink were clogged,everytime you did dishes both sinks would over flow.i told him numerous times to try and fix it..his excuse "im not a plummer" so finally after 2 weeks of scooping water out of the sinks to even use them i finally tried and got it(and no he wouldnt hire a plummer) right now my dryer isnt heating up..it turns on but no heat so i cant dry clothes properly..he wont even look at it:( my father wouldnt let that go by a day.if he couldnt fix it hed buy a new one. ugh i guess ill have to suck it up huh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Just do like I do. Keep bitching until it gets done. I have to ask my DH like 100 times to do things sometimes and he gets mad about that but he'll eventually do them to shut me up. lol
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• ya, i have to nag at my dh too, i don't know why he doesn't understand that if he gets it done asap i will be the happiest wife and not a peep will be heard from me....i have said as much every time something break.... My dad was the same way, he would get it fixed the second it even looked broken... men these days.. is your dad still around? I would call him if he is, get him to talk to your guy... a little father in law chat should fix him a little??
    All4OneN1forAll

Answer by All4OneN1forAll at 8:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My husband is pretty handy. He learned a lot of things when he was fixing up our house when we first bought it. He reinstalled the pluming throughout the entire house and rearranged the pluming in the bathroom so we could put a bathtub in. He's not a plumber either but he made a point to learn by talking to my Dad and some professional plumbers that my Dad knows.

Not all men are Mr. Fix-it though. Tell your husband that you want to hire a handyman. You can use Angie's list to get some names. If he can't fix it someone should. There is no reason to live in a house with a sink that doesn't drain and a dryer that doesn't dry.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My Hubby isn't home everyday to fix things so I do it myself... When he's home that's all he's doing, he goes around with "his own list" and makes sure everything's right before he leaves... Anyway, get some extra strength liquid plumber and let it sit overnight in your drains. Then turn your dryer around and on the back in the bottom left or right corner should be a little square door with screws in it, behind that is the element.. Call the store where you bought it, give them the model # and make of the dryer and you should be able to replace it. If you don't know where you got the dryer then google the make and model online. If you need help, message me and I will see what I can find on it.. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• PS My Dad is the fix-it type too, he's the one who gives my husband advice on how to get it done.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my husband is really good about fixing things and he likes doing it. but sometimes he just wants to relax when he isnt working. so if you dont want to feel like a nag, you could maybe make a list for him, and just ask if he could try do some of things on it by sunday night or something. i make list for myself and him. and he makes his own list too. if he still doesnt do it, then tell him you tried and couldnt so if he doesnt youre going to hire someone who can.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My DH can fix pretty much anything. He is lazy about stuff around the house though. If something in the house is broken or not working right I say something to him two or three times. If he does nothing about it is call one of his buddies to come fix it. This makes DH mad/embarassed and the next thing that needs fixing gets fixed faster so I don't call his friends to come do his job. Lol now it took me almost 7 years to figure this out-until then nothing got fixed if it was not in his garage or a car.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My husband is really great at and about fixing things. But he's not always home, so I've learned to take care of a lot of things myself.

It sounds like your heating element in your dryer or possibly the thermostat.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• is there anyway to fix the heating element/theromstat?
    Anonymous

• Here's my advice, don't wait for him to do it. Oncey you start to do it, he may jump in before you. Pride is so funny like that.

My guess is your dryer needs a new heating element. You can buy the parts online (you need the make and the model number) or you can find a supplier in the phone book, then there are websites that also tell you step by step how to do it. It is not that hard. (ONLY DO THIS YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE AN ELECTRIC DRYER! due to safety. Gas dryers need professionals. The part for an electric is about 40 dollars a bit more if you need a thermostat too. I watched my DH install ours and he is not mechanically inclined. Trust me, the hardest thing is finding all the places in the back of your dryer where the cover is attached! To find instructions, just type dryer won't heat in your search engine. After that, remember not all men these days know how to fix things, like our dads did! Good Luck.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009