How to get a one year to eat whole food?

I have tried to get my one year old to eat food and he just down right refuses to. I have to give him everything in a bottle. My two older boys were eating whole food by 8 months and I really don't know when I feel like I have tried to give my youngest food and all he does is turn his face away, gag on it and cry. Can someone help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. Offer new foods in small quantities-like a tablespoon-full. Make sure you have other foods her can choose from so he won't go hungry.

Example: If he eats baby food, offer him to usual baby food, along with some chopped up meat, small cubes of cheese, and some whole wheat crackers.

2. Cut up his food into TINY pieces-the size of a pea. Make it easy for him to chew and swallow.

3. Don't push him to eat. Offer it to him, and let him eat as much or as little as he wants. Praise him to at least trying. Offer him the bottle AFTER offering him to food.

Is he still taking formula (or breast milk) in those bottles? Or is it whole milk?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It often takes 15-20 tries before a child likes a food so keep trying. Focus on small bites of soft foods and work from there. He won't starve. If you make what you're going to make and only offer that, he'll learn and he'll eat when he's hungry. It can help if you are carefull not to let him drink too much between meals so he's actually hungry at meal time.

Also, keep in mind that he only needs 1-2 tablespoons of each of the different food groups each day so you can get the nutrition in him that he needs throughout the day, not necessarily in one meal. A multivitamin can also be your "insurance" policy. Check with the pediatrician.
    Hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Why the rush? Put foods on his tray while you are eating. If he wants it he'll eat it. Don't push it on him.
    Anonymous

• If he's completely refusing and gagging on everything, literally will NOT eat any solids, you need to take him to a doctor and/or a feeding specialist. It's not normal for a 1 year old to not take any solids whatsoever.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 2.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I also agree with anno2 ... but if he is at least getting some nutritution .. well with my twins i tried making the feeding time a game .. dont force him to eat ... jus play... n mayb he might catch on ... use any type of utensil in the kitchen ... or mayb a toy that is shape like a bowl or plate ... have fun with it ... if tht doesnt work then take him to a doc or specilist would be best ... hope this helps
    blssdwittwns930

Answer by blssdwittwns930 at 4:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• This is common. Don't force them to eat as that will stray them from wanting to try. What I did was put the foods on my son's tray and letting him explore. My son usually puts everything he can into his mouth, I even caught him licking the wall once. However, when it came to eating table foods he downright refused. He got a piece stuck in the back of his throat once and wouldn't even look at the food after that. I was at my whits end until my mom suggested letting him go after it himself. He had it all over him, squished between fingers, in his hair, and definately in his lap. However, after a little while he put some into his mouth and then another. They don't know what they're getting into, so letting them discover it themselves takes away the fear of it. This will help them be more willing to eat table foods on their own.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2009