Is it possible for a 5 yr old to suffer from depression?

My 5 yr old son gets so upset ova lil things an he sometimes crys for no reason! for instance last school yr he went to a different school than this yr well lil while ago he starts cryin sayin he misses everyone at the old school well i understand him missing everyone well he has not said anythin about this until now! well i finally have him claimed down! idk what is going on with him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think that yes it is possible..maybe consider taking him to the dr..idk..g/l!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes it is. My 14 year old, right on the dot it seems, as doctors predicted, inherited bipolar, manic depression and other things at age 5.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• depressed, no. don't label him. do NOT put him on meds. he might be sad, and having a tough time adjusting to all of the changes. I had a HORRIBLE time adjusting to my new school (when i was 8) I cried every day before school, could never make it onto the bus.. For no reason really, other than the fact that i had just switched to a new school.
    Hug your son, and let him know that things will be okay. Talk to his teacher, encourage him to be with other kids. Maybe have a few of his new friends over to play. Odds are, that he's just having a hard time adjusting.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 9:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I treated many children from depression. Even children who were five or younger. Actually, even infants can have depression. Certainly it is possible your child could be living with depression. However, there is a disorder that is called adjustment disorder and elements of being sad or depressed from the adjustment is part of it. Sometimes it takes time, compassion, and also some short term counseling. At least counseling never hurts. Depression isn't a label....to the above poster. It is a real medical condition and I know children who have lived with it all their lives and wished their parents had reached out for help long before they came to see me.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i think they can be, but whether it is the beginning of chronic depression or just situational is in the air. if you think that this is a problem, take him to a pediatric psychologist. i would strongly advise against meds, at least for now. meds are only for when it can not be managed on their own, and i would look into herbs, etc. try some st. johns wort. (if he can swallow a capsule, have him to that, or open it and put it in some food. (you can buy it at wal mart and he cant OD on it and it is TOTALLY safe. id give him a capsule per day). good luck.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Frog... he also says things like my life is ruined (me an his father have never said anything like that) he will even say that stuff is to much for him! depression does run in his fathers family his dad from manic depression! im so worried he goes to the doc on the 13 th for his check up so im gonna talk to him about it!
    op
    Anonymous

• YES, a 5 year old can be depressed. Get him evaluated by a counselor that deals with children. Get a referral from his doctor. Children this age can also be Bipolar and needs meds to deal with life. Depression is genetic. PLEASE get your child the help he needs now, don't wait until he is threatening to kill himself or does kill himself at 11 yrs old. A little boy in my city killed him self at 11 yrs old because he was depressed and though no one wanted him. Depression is a serious issue. There is a definate difference between being sad and being depressed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I do not think this is the type of situation where he needs to be evaluated and medicated to deal with switching schools. Give him attention and help him through it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Been there. My then 8 year old wanted to kill himself. What was causing his depression and mood swings is a gluten sensisitvity. Ask your dr for a food panel rast test for IgG to determine if he has food sensitivities that could be causing him to be over emotional.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes they can. My son was diagnosed with anxiety at age 6. Take him to a child psychologist. They will be able to help him and you deal with this. No drugs involved - I promise!
    steelcrazy

Answer by steelcrazy at 4:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009