Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I shoudnt back down without a fight?(My rights vs.Grandparents rights....)

Well I have bad in laws I mean real bad they smoke, get high, racist towards my 2 races, his father pops pain killers, and his mother have been known to put they're other grandchildren in dangerous stuff(his father even tried to attack me before!).
Well my husband told me they are talking to a lawyer about getting rights to see my son without my permission! I have made a deal with them that they could see my son with me there in public but my husband said no. Like it isn't enough for them!!
What do I do now?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • hon...they are trying to scare you. There is no such thing as them talking to a lawyer to see that child without your permission, they are lying to you to get you upset and to get their way. get a restraining order, order of protection against the grandparents and then enforce it every single time they break it. everytime! I know it scared you but even with the states that have the grand[arents rights, this isnt one of them. no worries, get that order now.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • If your husband knows they are this way, why is he on their side? They can't get legal rights for anything like that as far as I know. But, document proof about their behaviors... they would have to take it to court if it even managed to get there, and you would win. Its a lame case. SOrry this is going on!

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • i think there is only two states that even have "grandparents rights" all other states grandparents have no rights so their case is pretty much useless unless they can prove it will be in the childs best interest to see them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • Document everything. When, where, what was said. You need to keep a record of every time they call. Document, document, document.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • in california they ahve grandparents rights
    this is how it is
    if the couple should get divorced the grandparents can seek visitations to insure that the seperation will not effect their relationship with the children
    if the children get removed from both parents custody grandparents will be frst to be contacted to keep the children out of foster care if neither parent is "fit" to have the children

    so if you live in California the everyday visits and such are still completly up to you and your hubby to decide

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • I do live in California and my husband sides with them because he is stupid. He was there when his father was getting into my face and yelling and acting like he was going to hit me while I had the baby in my arms!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • My friend had a situation with grandparents right b4 and the grandparents were perfectly fine just mean and she talked to a lwyer and they said if the parents are married the grandparents can't do anything, but I live in Ohio and i'd talk to a lawyer still if I were you cuz there isn't any way i'd leve my son with people like that so I'd do whatever it takes if I were you

    Answer by AshleyG. at 9:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • Wow I am sorry your going through this, this is all so wrong. All it takes is ONE great grandparent, children don't need two lousy shitty grandparents.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • Document everything, but don't worry. Grandparents rights don't really exist, especially if you're married.

    Answer by apexmommy at 9:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • there really is no such thing as grandparents' rights. They can try but a parent has the right to protect their child. If they do the things you say then no family court judge would say, "hey, let's risk this child getting injured and over ride a parents' right to make safety decisions about their child." Won't happen. They sound like they are blowing smoke up your ass. And why fall into this drama? People like that typically don't hire lawyers, they can't even afford lawyers. So why go there? And if they do hire a lawyer then let them take you to court. Most lawyers won't touch a case like this with a ten foot pole. So if they confront you tell them if they must, take you to family court and leave it at that. Personally, I wouldn't even be speaking to them.

    Answer by frogdawg at 9:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009