Can I give my 6 year old who weighs 50 lbs. an Advil for fever?

He has a fever right now of 102.6 and I just gave him the last dose of childrens Motrin. So I am wondering can I break an Advil (2oo mg) in half and give him that in case he still has the temp later on? That would be 100 mg then which is equivalent to 2 tsps of Childrens Motrin I just gave him, right? Have you ever given your child regular Advil or Tylenol?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Health

• Advil isn't meant for fevers. Its used for inflammation and pain. Tylenol reduces fevers. If you're are not sure of what does to give a child on any medication, call a doc or pharmacy. If you can't get ahold of anyone at this time, I would suggest calling a nearby hospital and ask for the pharmacy and speak directly to a pharmacist. Overdosing on motrin and tylenol can have severe consequences. I work at a hospital pharmacy and we get outside calls from parents occassionally even if the child has never been there as a patient. It's better to ask then be uncertain
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i think a half of an advil would be fine.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 9:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009