is it normal for my baby to sleep so much after his shots

i am terribly paranoid, my son had his four mth shots yesterday, and since then he is sleeping so much, today my mom took him and he normally is good for her, today he screamed for two hours till i got him back from her, and he has slept almost all day, i called the doctor and she said as long as he dont have fever and is eating its ok, but he just dont seem right to me, he didnt even stay awake much after i tried to bathe him, he is a very active four mth old baby,

ashlat

Asked by ashlat at 9:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you give him tylenol yesterday? I know at my doctor's office they tell the moms to give their babies tylenol every 4 hours until bedtime - I don't do it, but I would imagine if you did something like that it might make the baby drowsy the next day...It might also be a complete coincidence - don't panic - give him another day and I bet he'll get back to normal. Good luck! And don't listen to anyone on here that gives you a hard time about giving your son his shots.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Screaming for two hours is a vaccine reaction. Most doctors will not agree to it because they want children to get all of their shots (combined, I mean) next time so they get more money.

If I were you I would separate out his next shots by a month apart and do it that way.. so you can see if he reacts to one of them... Call your doctor back and say that you want to do that because the screaming for 2 hours is NOT RIGHT... They have to order the separate shots special and you might have to pay out of pocket for a couple.

My son has -never- reacted that way to his shots.
    Anonymous

• yes it is normal for them to sleep after getting shots
    Anonymous

• thankyou all, this morning i woke up (without getting much sleep) with the little stinker up on his arms smiling and cooing down on me, i was so happy that he woke me up this morning, he is fine, but from now on i am gonna get his shots done seperately , i wish so bad that i didnt have to get his shots especially the hep b series but i have hep b and if i dont get him the shots he has a huge chance of getting hep also,
    its so weird that you know most of these things your self but when it comes to your own child, common sense and intelligence are out the window and worry and fear invade your mind,
    i know there are babies who have had adverce reactions or have died due to these shots but that is such a small percentage and i believe in these vaccines i do, but when it is your own child you think of the worst, at least i do
    oh well thankyou
    ashlat

Answer by ashlat at 10:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2009