Disciplining the A student

well my A+ student just got a B.... in math of all things. This is the kid who scored 100% on the state testing... I had the principal calling me at home to congratulate us. And here he is in middle school getting a B on a test.

This is what I told him (the same thing I tell my B daughter).... you know who rules the business world??? The B students who worked their butts off for Bs. You know why... because when you are in business it doesnt matter a who-ha how easy it comes to you if you do not have a work ethic. It doesnt matter if you are the sharpest pencil in the case if you dont make your clientel happy and work your butt off.... even if they are wrong and you are smarter than they are.

So you know what I dont give a flying pig poo if you think Bs are ok.... what is important is 100% effort.... AND YOU DID NOT GIVE IT.

How do you disiplin your A student??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The hardest thing is keeping an A student motivated. When a A comes so easy it is way too easy to be lazy. I did my best work (still do) when I am busy. No time to waste goofing off. Gotta get the next thing done. Is there something you can get him involved in: the school play, sports, tutoring. When his day is full he won't have the I'll do my homework on the bus attitude. Boredom is your enemy.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well I discipline my children the same no matter if they are A students or D students and I would never discipline a child for a B, no matter what the previous years test said.. C's I take privileges away unless the C is that child's BEST.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would never discipline a child for grades.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• wow, you are crazy strict. everyone makes mistakes you know. just take away a privlidge for a few weeks. or you could send them to boot camp, lmao.
    Anonymous

• I think you are being a little hard on the kid. He is only in middle school. If that is the only thing he has done wrong. You should be glad. he has not even go to high school yet. Or College.

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• NO NO NO you are NOT being HARD. Good job for making school important in your home. You have every right to make him feel ashamed that he didnt do his best! School comes before anything! I mean anything. Your doing a good job. I think shame will make him work for his A's. Let him know how let down you are. Remind him of the pride you had when the principal called. I think he needs to understand that school is very important. Hey your A kid could get a free ticket to college bcuz you made sure he did his best.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i think you all miss the point... I dont care about the grade... I care that he didnt try. I care that he thinks that a B is ok because it is ok for his sister. She works her butt off for Bs and we are very happy. But he doesnt do poop and gets a B. That is like any other student doing nothing and getting a D.

If you saw your child doing nothing and getting Ds would you accept that???

I think you are missing the point.

OP
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be too hard on him/her. We all fall short at some time or another.

If he tries his best, that is what counts.

I was an "A" student but once in a while I got a "B", big deal.

I have a great career and own a business with my hubby.
    Anonymous

• I know what you are saying and don't think you are being too hard. My son always had school come easy for him(math is his strongest subject too)anyway I agree that it is about the EFFORT not the grade. But middle school is when DS started having a hard time because he had to start putting in effort and studying for tests. Ask him if he did his best and if he says no ask how that makes him feel and tell him how you feel about it. If he is into a sport or music or any extra curricular ask him if he would put as little effort into that. That's what finally got through to DS comparing homework and studying to hockey practice and the "test" is the games.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Wow! I am sorry but employers are NOT going to ask what his Gpa was in college. I go to college and I have had my fair share of B's and I am okay with that. Because I have off days, study to much, or distracted with something. My neighbor gets mad if her son gets an "A" if its not a certain % A. My sister was the A student in our family and mom/dad put so much pressure on her she did not graduate with her class(over the summer) and no college plans. She told it was because of what my parents did to her. I believe her because it was intense in my household. All A's or grounded for weeks often till next report card. I am all about edu (im going for teaching) and yes if you want to get into a good college you need good grades.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2009