First freak out day since I've had my baby.

I'm trying to make it to work tomorrow but I just don't think I will! It's only been 13 days since the baby's been born. Agh! I feel like a failure if I'm not able to figure out this breastpump and finish my work before tomorrow morning!!!! Some advice/encouragement would be nice!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you're supposed to wait 6weeks to return to work, 8 if you had a c-section. your doc should have given you papers for that.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Take a deep breath. You are not a failure. I have heard the first three months after delivery referred to as the fourth trimester and for good reason. You are still recovering from the physical strain of having your baby, you are no doubt sleep deprived and still on the emotional rollercoaster thanks to hormone levels. If you are taking care of the baby at this point then you are succeeding!! I know how the pressures of work can be, and how it can feel like you should be able to bounce right back, but take your time, or as much time as you can and don't put too much pressure on yourself. If you need more time from work and can take it then do so- you won't regret it. And if you can't then just remind yourself that you have a full plate and you are dealing the best you can. As for the pumping- it can be frustrating, I know. But it gets easier with practice and you will find a system that works for you- it will get better. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Not every has the luxury of staying home with a newborn for six to eight weeks before returning to work.

When pumping, remember to drink plenty of liquids, do it in a calm area. Also, running the backside of your nails from the outside towards the nipple will help to stimulate lactation. If you're pumping at work, take along a photo of your little one. That also helps stimulation.

Good luck! You'll get the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• Dude. You are NOT a failure. I didn't go back to work, but at 13 days, I barely was capable of bathing myself. You're doing awesome.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• laughingI'm sorry, I had to laugh at your "First Freak Out Day"! I was just sitting here thinking, my kids are grown and gone and I still have freak out days!! Just to let you know that it never does end, as you will be freaking out almost daily until the day you die, I imagine, or so my grandmother used to say!!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• you qualify for state disability for 6wks postpartum. if your job doesn't cover maternity leave past 2wks i would suggest telling your OB so that they can give you the papers for the state disability and taking that time off to bond with your child and develop your pumping routine etc. especially for first time mothers you are not always emotionally - or even physically - ready to continue some of your normal routines so early, which could compromise your ability to care for your child.
    Anonymous

• why are you going back to work so soon? didnt you eployer give you the 6-8 wks of maternity leave?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• employer
    piwife

• I agree with the PP about the state disability...& depending on your circumstances you could even qualify for longer disability (like I qualify for 6months postpartum & a friend of mine qualified for 16weeks). You can also talk to your employer about maybe working only part-time...or some companies also offer work-from-home type of deals for employees that are still in the postpartum stretch. Also, my son will be 3weeks tomorrow & I am just now developing PPD symptoms, which is also a reason to not overload yourself right away because that could mess with your employment if you aren't ready...

About the pumping...have you talked to a lactation specialist? You should look into local support groups, they can be helpful...but from what I heard it takes time for your body to get used to it too sometimes, so you need patience. Do you have anyone at home that can help out while you practice & pump before work? Ask for help...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Oh, gosh, is your boss Ebenezer Scrooge?

If you really HAVE to go back, then let's take a look at what is happening with the pump. When are you using it? WHILE feeding is best, during the first nursing of the day. Two ounces total is normal output. Baby needs one ounce per hour of separation.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2009