what's a good present for a picky 1-year-old?

i'm going to a first b-day party next week and the little boy is most interested in cardboard boxes, spoons, and simple stuff like that. i wouldn't feel right bringing him a big box with spoons in it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• music toys. Honestly at that age they dont really play with toys. Its best to just get him some clothes.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I went to a first bday party just two weeks ago. I bought the little boy a toy with balls and tubes for the balls to go through. It was a cheap simple gift. It came with a plastic hammer to make the balls go in and out... My friend said out of all the gifts thats the only one he plays with
    Anonymous

• Buy an age appropriate gift.

Answer by louise2 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i vote push toys! they're simple, inexpensive and my daughter loves them. she has one that's like a child-sized shopping cart. it helps her to walk, and she loves to put stuff in it, take stuff out and feel independent at the park! they also have those poppers and some that are like a cylinder at the bottom and make a nicer noise.

good luck!
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• a really cool "touch and feel" book. My boys (3 of them) all went thru an Osborne Big Truck book. It has fallen apart now and my 2 year old still brings the book to me to read him.
    Pea22

Answer by Pea22 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I agree with pp...touch and feel books are great! push toys are a great idea too....my son still played with his push toy way after he was able to walk....he liked the music and running into things! lol
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Children at that age love toys that make music when they interact with them, stacking things, and holding items that are large and easy to grip.
    Bright colors, sturdiness, and no small choking pieces are important.
    Have fun shopping - there is so much out there for little ones to enjoy now!
    Oh, and they love those thick cardboard books so they can be read to and look through on their own without mommy worrying about the pages being ripped out.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009