Okay, is my Feline-American child sinning against god? :O)

I often make a joke about encouraging my furkids to explore their Egyptian "roots" and their relationship with Bast. Yeah, not a lot of people get it, either. Anyway, one of my girls, Buffy, is obsessed with jewelry. She wears bracelets as necklaces, and to her, the more the better. A few years ago I got a prayer box bracelet as a gift because the person knows I have a weakness for tiny boxes and making things into other things. I found it the other day, and took off the outer box (the one I wanted it for), and there was another box charm inside. Buffy was in the room when I did this, and, of course she expected to wear it, so I put it on her. She's been parading around in it for about two weeks now. I was telling someone about this because I think it's hilarious, and I was chewed out and lectured big time for letting a cat wear christian jewelry. So, does anyone else think it's a sacrilege for her to wear this thing?

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 9:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yep it is
    Anonymous

• Right off the bat, I remind people I personally am atheist, and I don't care if she wears this thing or not. It's a nice piece and Buffy is very pleased with it, obviously. I thought the whole scene was amusing, if somewhat sad, and a little embarrassing, since it was in public, I don't really do social stuff very well anyway. I thought I would post it because question-wise, it's a little different, and it is religious in nature. Sort of.

This sort of crap is why I like cats better than real people, though. Sheesh!
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well, i'm Pagan so i can't tell you if it's sinful. ...but from my understanding, only humans can sin. so ...i guess it doesn't really matter.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• LMAO... ok first of all I was a little confused b/c I thought you were talking about a little girl at first!!! LOL It's just a piece of jewelry... and if it doesn't have any significant meaning to you then what's the problem!?!? The only time when it might be considered "a sacrilege" is if god him/her/their self gave it to you! Otherwise, let the cat (one of "god's" creatures) enjoy the thing!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Um, we are talking about a cat, or a child that looks like a cat, or a child that acts like a cat??? I'm so confused. If we are talking about a real cat... just how does a cat become obsessed with jewelry? I'm just curious...
    Anonymous

• Well you make me want to go put purty things on my little descendent of Bastet...she has the cute little head for it :-) Then I will take pictures and put them on here if I can figure it out lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'm a little lost this is strange even for me. No judgment intended. How ever I don't think it's a sin. Where in the Bible does it state cats wearing jewelery. Come on. Yet again I'm confused and didn't get that you were referring to a cat until the last sentence. Sorry. I would love to understand further though if you wouldn't PM me and explaining it. I would be grateful I love learning any thing new. It sounds like this has a cultural back round to it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Man...either I read enough of Roachies posts or I am really a crazy cat lady lol....Bast or Bastet is the Egyptian cat goddess lol. I am guessing that could be the source of confusion
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think you are so funny : ) And your cat is very fancy!!!

I personally don't think it is sacreligious at all. It is a piece of jewelry. There is nothing special about it, other than the value that the owner gives to it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• your fur -baby can wear what ever she wants ... mine prefer to be nuddies, but thats just them.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 10:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009