My son has hand, foot & mouth disease according to the dr 2 days ago. He never had a fever before, but his head felt hot so I took his temp. It's reading around 100. I gave him tylenol. HELP? ADVICE PLEASE??!

He has also been super tired, like falling asleep at 5 or 6 pm even though he napped all day. I did recently start working this week and he's been at his grandma's cuz I didn't want to send him to day care while he has foot & mouth. She says he's been doing fine. He has never had a fever before so I don't know what to do. I gave him some baby tylenol. My mom says if it goes higher take him to the ER. What else should I do?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 100 is barely a fever. You don't need to start worrying unless it starts going over 102 and not breaking with tylenol. As for him sleeping more thats perfectly normal when they are sick.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• A fever is defined by the medical community as a temperature over 100.4. And unless it's a newborn, there's no reason to go to the doctor for a fever under 103.5 unless it's accompanied by other symptoms or it persists for more than a couple of days. Give him Tylenol if it helps. If his throat is bothering him from sores inside his mouth, you could offer him a cold drink or a popsicle. And let him sleep so his body can recuperate. Other than that, all you can do is wait (hand, foot, mouth usually lasts about a week); it's a viral illness, so there's nothing you can give him to get rid of it. Try not to worry so much, and feel free to call the doctor if you have any questions, most of them have a nurse who can talk to you on the phone about things like what to do to bring down a fever and tips for relieving his discomfort.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I found this link. Hope he's feeling better soon!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/handfootmouth/

morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• he has no sores in his mouth and other than sleeping a lot, he doesn't seem bothered
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• where did you take the temperature?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009