WHINING?? How to reduce it??

I seem to be a short tempered mom with no patience these days.. it seems like my 3 yr old whines about everything... I cant enjoy being a mom and enjoy the time I have with her because she whines all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My big pet peve. Can't even take adults who do it. I can only tell you how I handle it with my son. If he whines I tell him I can't hear him, he needs to use his big boy voice so I can understand him better. I also have sent him to other rooms explaining it hurts my ears. I give examples of a whine. But not to mock. Simply informative. I have also turned off the radio in the car - which he loves his radio - when he whines in the car. He gets it and stops. For some parents they may just need to turn the radio on in the car to tune out the whine. I also whisper and say I can't hear you. This gets him to whisper. Then there is the whine because I want what I want. And my response is you need to be upset in another room it hurts my ears. Or I walk into the bathroom for a few minutes with the door shut to have time away from the whine. You do what works. It doesn't need to be drastic. Biggest thing is we role

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• play. My husand and I took turns pretending to whine and then responding. Or not responding. Then we went about our request in a non whine mode and showed him how we would like to see something being asked for. Or how we want him to talk it out. He caught on. Still the whine is there when he is tired or doesn't get what he wants. So we have our plans on what to do. I can only tell you it has decreased but at three my child is developmentally built to whine. Its like a coping mechanism used to vent his frustration and displeasure. Most grow out of it. And of course we don't whine as adults. Role model behavior. It will just take time and compassionate parenting. Hang in...I'm in the same boat.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• When my kids were whinning I would tell them that they were whinning and that I didn't listen to it, and if they wanted to talk to me they would do it in a "Big girl/boy" voice, then I would ignore them untill they did. If they threw a fit, they got sent to their rooms. Be consistant and it will work, I feel for ya. My daughter DEFINES drama queen lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!! Do NOT respond, do NOT answer. You can say, "I don't understand whining. Use your words." I do NOT tolerate whining from ANYONE, no matter the age or reason. NO ONE needs to whine. I taught toddlers and wouldn't let them whine. They may not have been able to talk but they didn't need to whine. A parent asked me how I stopped her child from whining. I told her that I told her to use her words and I ignored the whining. Give your kids the skills to speak.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I. Hate. Whining. I do not respond to it, except to say "I can't understand you with that voice." I say it without irritaiton, just a statement of fact, and if I am getting frustrated, I just don't respond. As soon as I snap at her, she's gotten the attention she wants from it. Usually, she stops immediately and asks in a normal voice. Usually.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I tell my daughter that she has to talk like a big girl amd if she cant to leave the room or stop talking until she calms down and can talk to me. It works very well. She wants to be treated oler so I tell her if that is what she wants she must act like it. I try to not yell her at her for it or give into it because I feel like that feeds it.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ignore it. Say simply, "When you wish to talk to me, we will talk. But I do not understand you're whining." and walk away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i claim that i cannot understand my son and the kids i work with when they whine, i will say, i have no idea what you are saying use your normal voice, seems to faze it out for me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ditto AmaliaD. play dumb....

it seems to be working with my girls. lol course they are 8,6,and 3
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009