Have you ever lived with your MIL?

My husband and I have recently had to move in with his parents due to unemployment. We have been here a week and no one has killed each other yet. Have you and hubby lived with your in-laws/parents? For how long? Was it a positive or negative experience?

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 10:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Wow...you are lucky to have family who are willing to put you up. I would love to move in with my in laws but they have a bazillion kids still at home running around and I think our sex life would die.
    Anonymous

• yep, we lived with my MIL for about 2 months, while we were waiting on inspections and settlement for our home...let's just say, I was really ready to move into my own place.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow. No we would kill each other. Simple as that. And she could not live here without rules. Serious rules. Actually, my own parents could not live with me unless we had some concrete understandings. And I have no problems saying you have to leave if they were to violate any of my rules. Not rules as in treating them like children. But certainly I cannot have other people yelling, screaming or upsetting my child. Or undermining my parenting.  A philosophy to go by so that things remain peacefull.  No peace then it is time to move on.  I have thought a lot about this because my parents both lost their jobs.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We lived with his mom and step dad for a couple of months and it was nice at first but it just started getting worse after a few weeks
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I moved in with my husbands mom and him when we were still in high school. She is an extremely nice woman though, and we got along great - for the most part ;) Only sometimes did we want to kill eachother, haha. But for the most part it was nice, and we lived with her for about 6 months.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I have lived with my MIL and FIL twice. The first time was for about 2 months. It was right after my husband and I got married and he had to report to his duty station in Germany. I had to stay behind until I got permission to join him. The second time was when I came home from Germany to have our son. I stayed with them for about 10 months. Overall, both times were great experiences.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter & I lived with her when I was pregnant with her grandchild, my husband & I weren't married yet but I've known them since high school. He was overseas for most of the pregnancy & we got married about 4 months after he got back. It had its ups & downs but emotions ran high in the household since both of her children were deployed & other family stuff was going on. I lived there for about 6 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We have for a couple of months! Let me say this I will NEVER stay with them again!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We lived with my mom for almost 2 yrs while we were saving up to buy a house. Hubs and I lived in her basement (it was a walk-out basment). It worked out ok. There were times when we did get on each others nerves but for the most part we got along and did not have problems.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• More like she lived with us. Her & her dumb husband. one of the worst years of my life! augh!
    Anonymous