Turkey...

Im at such a loss..i have NEVER cooked a turkey...never cleaned one and i dont know where to start..i looked into buying a premade turkey but we cant afford that kinda expense on top of everything else (i stupidly volunteered to host dinner for 10 at my house)....what do i do? where do i start? what size turkey do i need for 8-10 people...and how do i make sure its not dry....ive only ever had ONE turkey that had moist white meat!!!!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've used every kind of turkey, butterball, organic, the cheap ones & had good results. By a large turkey (20 lbs or more). Wash it inside & out. Remove the gizzards, & the gravy packet if it has 1.

To keep the turkey moist (this isn't low cholesterol, but for special occasions you get the moistest, most delicious turkey) I mix a stick of butter, some chopped basil leaves & minced garlic all together. Then gently lift the skin of the turkey. Taking small bits of butter at a time, rub the meat of the turkey (just the breast). After I do this, I like to place whole basil leaves under the skin (learned this from Martha Stewart years ago. It looks amazing roasted, and the turkey is so moist and delicious you won't believe it. I Then rub the skin with butter, season it with garlic powder & pepper. Fill cavities with stuffing (both cavities) Place it in the roasting pan. Tent with foil and roast as directed. Hope you try it!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:55 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• get the heaviest turkey you cvan find in the store. God buy some of those oven bags, they make them for turkeys and a great recipe for how to mk e turkey also get a thermometer that pops up when the trukey is done. I go to allrecipes.com for my recipes.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Best thing you can do for a great tasting turkey is to soak it in salt water the night before you cook it. We line a 5 gallon paint bucket a plastic kitchen trash bag. Fill it with a little warm water, about 1/2c - 1c. of salt & stir to dissolve. Put the turkey in neck end down & fill the rest of the way with cold water to completely cover the turkey. I sort of wiggle him around in there to get some water down in the big open cavity. We have a fridge in our garage, so we put him in there for the night. Next morning, I rinse him, pat dry, stuff, rub him down with butter & put him in the roasting pan on top of 3 stalks of celery laid across the bottom of the pan. (helps to lift out easier without sticking. Lastly, I add a couple chicken bouillon cubes, couple of quartered onions & a couple hands full of baby carrots. All the veggies makes the drippings perfectly favored for great gravy. Tent with foil, or use a bag. Best Wishes!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well we get a 20 pound turkey, free...we shop a lot at this one store and it's a bonus buy thing you get points blah blah. What I do it thaw him, take him out, rinse, remove gizzards, put him in this plastic tub, fill it with Bitter Orange Juice, Lemon Juice, and brown sugar, put him in the friged over night...then cook him the next day in the juice mix. If you wonder what I do with the gizzards...my kittys love them and they are spoiled heathens :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My stepdad use to save all the gizzards, bread them and fry them up in a pan. It sure sounds unhealthy... all the breading and fat... but organ meat is supposed to have a lot of essential minerals and nutrients (like the rest of meat) but in much higher concentrations.

MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 3:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well you in for a surprise .... good luck i wish you the best... if you havent bought the turkey yet ... get a butterball you can never go wrong 8-10 people i would say get a very bigg one ... well the night before make sure you follow the directions on the package ok .. empty ur sink put cold water n place turkey in it ... want the turkey to be well thaw out before you start in the morning ... prepared ur self that each pound takes estimate hour to cook .. so say you have a 20lb Turkey probably take abt 8hrs .. Make sure you have a Pan to place the Turkey in ... also a beaker the thing that can soak up the juices from the Turkey while in the oven ... also have the oven preset to time on the package... My dad always got a stick of butter n he butter the turkey he also but seasoning ... decide what you will have in the turkey .. like stuffing ...
    blssdwittwns930

Answer by blssdwittwns930 at 5:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• cont... after trimming turkey get some foil and cover it .. you want the turkey to get cook promtply so have itr covered will help the process also it wont turn dark quick ... occasionally you are going to check it n if the juices are too much then get the beaker n a coffee cup handy ... ur gonna get sum of the jucies n put on the turkey n the extra in the cup n dumb away ok ... jus minute before time is up take the foil off to brown turkey ... check if its not too pink sum pink is ok... neother help jus message .. hope it help .. i like what blessdmommie sed sound yummie
    blssdwittwns930

Answer by blssdwittwns930 at 6:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Don't be intimidated. If you can roast a chicken you can roast a turkey. Go to martha stewart.com, foodtv.com, and allrecipes to get some great instructions. Martha has a segment called turkey 101 that is great.

For 10 people- you want 1-1.5 pounds per person. So you need a 10-15 pound turkey. I like to buy a little bigger for last minute guests and leftovers.

If you want a fresh turkey- order it now and pick it up the day before T-giving. If you get a frozen turkey, get it about a week in advance and thaw it in the fridge 3 days before or immersed in water the night before.

Get a meat thermometer- the only way to test for doneness is to check the internal temp of the thickest part of the turkey- I poke the thighs. The internal temp should be 165. Typically for a 12-15 pound turkey (what I usually get) it takes 3-4 hours. I start checking after it has been roasting for 3 hrs.

GL! I'm sure you will be just fine.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 12:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009