Do fellow passengers give you dirty looks when you get on a plane with a baby/toddler?

I will be flying with my 17 month old daughter soon, and it's a cross country flight. I'm hoping she'll sleep most of the way. She's generally a good baby, and rarely throws tantrums, but who knows how she'll do on her first plane trip.

Do people give you dirty stares when you get on the plane with a baby/toddler? Do the people seated next to you get mad and ask to have their seat assignment changed? I just want to be prepared. My feelings get hurt rather easily, so I don't want to be surprised!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I flew several times my sons first year and a half. A few of those times I flew alone with him. I never got dirty looks. People were always helpful. Just remember to back lots of distractions, snacks, books, small toys. And don't stress about it, toddlers always pick up on stress and it makes them stressful too.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I never got any dirty looks, i took my daughter on a plane when she was a month 1/2 old and people were trying to help me if anything. We are taking a plane trip in december, she is 19 months old now, so it should be a little more interesting this time. Goodluck!!! Just remember to give your LO a bottle while taking off and landing so their ears wont pop! THEN they might get aggrivated because there is a screaming baby :)
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have only needed to fly once with my baby and no, everyone ws very sweet and gracious and complimented my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I fly a lot with DD. We actually just got back. If I get dirty looks I don't notice. :) She usually sleeps/nurses the entire flight.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've flown several times with my daughter. It's not bad when the flight isn't full and you have an extra seat or two between you and the next passenger. Our last flight was packed and no one wanted to sit next to my 13 month old. The seat next to us was literally the last seat taken.

It happens. Not everyone likes or tolerates kids. Don't take it personally. It's their issue, not yours.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:31 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've flown a few times with my kids and the last time I was alone with a 6 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Everyone was so nice and helpful. My kids did great, even through the nightmare of an 8 hour delay and flying over a storm that was producing tornados.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I got dirty looks. I flew with my son when he was 3 months old. A lot of people looked kinda pissed thinking that he was going to cry the whole time. But he was quiet and sleeping. After when we were getting off the plane everyone was smiling and telling me how good my baby is. lol. And i was flying to California from Louisiana. So it was a long trip. Just make sure you have something for the little one to do when not sleeping.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Just be prepared to keep them as happy as possible. I fly with my kids all the time... and WHO CARES if they give you dirty looks. NOT your problem. You deal with your child and make the ride pleasant for everyone. Don't let the actions of others affect you... there is nothing you can do about it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• YES! When my kids were young I would fly cross country with with when they were 1 and 4, 2 and 5 and so on... one man looked at me and said "Oh no, this always happens to me". I said me too, he asked what that meant and I told him, I always get stuck beside some person who judges... he apologized and guess what, my kids were great the whole flight! I also had a HUGE woman sit next to me and my son when he was 2 and she tried to get her seat changed but could not, I was hoping she would because her big self was half way in my seat... all I could think was glass houses and stones! My kids have been great and horrible on flights, but that is how kids are.... I always try to keep them calm and they were never out of control, but YES, just the site of a kid makes some people cringe...
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I only flew with my daughter once when she was 6 months. I sat down and the guy sitting next me went "ugh" and got up and moved. I didn't care though. she was good the entire flight.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2009