What medication am I allowed to take during pregnancy?

I'm in the early stages of my pregnancy, things are normal and an over all smooth pregnancy as far as I can tell. I have no major health issues that I am aware of. But I am having some cold symptoms. I'm not sure yet if it's allergies or sinus or common cold. Does any one know what kind of medicine I can take or what kind I have to stay away from? My doctor had given me a list with all this info on it with my last child (of course I didn't keep it). It's too late to give them a call. I'm hoping someone with experience has an answer for me.

sweets719

Asked by sweets719 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You allowed benedryl or clartin for allergies. My midwife told me zyrtec was fine also. If you google ir you'll lists
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My doctors office gave me a list. Tylenol Pm Sinus for nasal Congestion. And sudafed plain AFTER 12 weeks of pregnancy.Tylenol for headaches. Robitussin or Robitussin DM for cough. That's typed right from the handbook they gave me. BUT the pharmacist said when I asked b/c I couldn't find the right ones that they will either slow the baby's heart or make it speed up. I choose to suffer(through two weeks of a severe severe head and chest cold) then take anything and have it affect the babys heartrate. That was my choice, I'd feel selfish if it did anything to the baby ya know. You can also apply a warm compress to sinuses, and take hot hot showers to ease congestion.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the answers. Rachell9503: Was the pharmacist talking about all medicine or just the Robitussin?
    sweets719

Answer by sweets719 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He said them all. Some make the heart rate faster, some slow it down. I miscarried my last baby early on and felt anything like that was too big a risk FOR ME. Knowing that it could do something to the baby's heartrate I felt selfish. Again, my personal choice. those are the medicines my doctors office said were okay to take in the handbook they gave me.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 1:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thanks for answering again. I wasn't sure when I posted it that you would come back or not,
    sweets719

Answer by sweets719 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2009