how could this have happened? ...twins....

i went in to the docs office to check on baby on 09/02/09 to find out im about 11 weeks and four days according to the ultrasound. one baby is shown, thats it.... then of course after a few more visits i was suppose to have my ultrasound yesterday,the third... office error so i only got a regular check up so they set me up with an ultrasound today at 11am.... they of coarse asked the usual "how many weeks are you?" and "have you had an ultrasound before?" 20weeks and of coarse i had an ultrasound. everyone keeps telling me i'm carrying big and of course i've always been on the bigger side but now im all baby carrying big... as soon as the ultrasound touches my stomach " oh twins!" i reply " oh no, just one." "um no, you're having twins, see the two heads?" then she turned the monitor and of coarse there are 2 heads, looking at each other.... how could no one have detected or checked for more just in case? fraternal twins!

1sttimema_808

Asked by 1sttimema_808 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How exciting! Its rare but on occasion one will hide behind the other and nt be seen on sonogram. I'm surprised you made it to 20 weeks without anyone noticing but hey things happen! I had a friend who was born and two minutes later her twin was born and her mom didn't know it was twins! lol At least you got a little bit of a heads up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes, I've heard about that before(as the above poster said), one baby is directly behind the other and isn't seen for a while. Congrats! I bet it's scary, but how exciting!!!!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Aww, Congrats!!! It happens, sometimes one baby is hidden behind the other. And maybe their heartbeats are running the same beat. Im jealous. I want twins in the future. Now you get to buy two of everything!!!
    PsychologyMama

Answer by PsychologyMama at 1:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Congrats on wasting more money LOL joke
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Actually, sort of the same thing happened to me. The babies both showed up on the first ultrasound, but it was a HUGE surprise to both of us, given that this was my first pregnancy, I had not taken fertility treatments, and there are no twins or any other multiples in either side of the family. I remember riding home from the appointment saying over and over, "This is RIDICULOUS!" I mean, we knew we wanted two children, we just didn't know they were going to come at the same time... We finally concluded that twins have to start somewhere in every family, and this is where they start in ours. They are fraternal too, by the way. Get ready for some chaos! Mine are 6 now, and usually run in different directions. They will run you ragged.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 2:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i think that happens a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• thanks everyone. its funny. sara has basically the same story....the doc said it could have been that my body had to release 2 eggs that time and of course, i get lucky at that same time... it's weird, i'm the guy in my marriage. how did i become female? seriously...lol i asked my mom and tracked down my biological father just for this question on twins and there is absolutely no twins anywhere! i hope this doesn't happen again sometime in the future for me cuz i will seriously flip my lid! lol i'll have pictures up soon! :)
    Thanks once again everyone!
    1sttimema_808

Answer by 1sttimema_808 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Someone who is in the due in December group with me had that happen to her with her first pregnancy. My husband has a twin and it was just like the first post said, he came first and a couple minutes later his mom started delivering the placenta and quickly realized there was a whole other baby in there! lol
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2009